• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Kicker motor what kind of controls

iffwalleyes

So I kind of already know what I think I want to do. But I want to hear what others think or are doing. I am looking to get a Yamaha T9.9. I have located both a tiller model and then one with remote controls. Same price but the tiller is a couple years newer. What do you guys see as the pros and cons of each system. I will be putting it on a 1775 Prov SE.

Tiller control all the way for me.

For years I have run Merc kickers with twist grip shifting right on the throttle handle. No reaching for a shift lever, the shifting and throttling is all controlled by twisting your wrist.

You obviousely get all the control and benefits of a tiller motor with this setup.

But you can easily tie the kicker to the big motor for steering control if you want. And if you add a Trollmaster then you get remote throttle control as well. This set-up is as versatile and flexible as you can get with a kicker motor.

Hope that helps and good luck!

You obviousely get all the control and benefits of a tiller motor with this setup.

But you can easily tie the kicker to the big motor for steering control if you want. And if you add a Trollmaster then you get remote throttle control as well. This set-up is as versatile and flexible as you can get with a kicker motor.

Tiller handle + Trollmaster (similar control).....properly set up, best way to go. Not sure why anyone would want to take tiller handle off (remote throttle) and tie permanently to main motor. I'd go with a tiller without Trollmaster before I did that. good luck..

personally i'd go with remote if its a wheel boat

i have a t-8 runs good but i cant control speed or kick it outa gear when theres a fish on

i guess if its a tiller i dunno

You don't need to take it out of gear when "fish on". Just hit the idle button.....still in gear, but with a t-8 and 4 blade prop, you don't go far....I usually have my Terrova down when trolling and have it control boat if playing fish is too much, which usually isn't.

Remote tiller speed control, unless they come up with a VTS....never gonna be in my boat.

Right but this one would come with a throttle control. So I would be able to just tie the motors together and control everything still from the console.

My personal thought is to do the tiller cause I would have faster response time while overating it. I am not at this point looking a trollmaster. I typically do fish in the back of the boat anyhow and use my copilot. So not a big change really for what I will do. That is the way I am leaning just curious what others were thinking.

[quote name='goose89

You don't need to take it out of gear when "fish on". Just hit the idle button.....still in gear' date=' but with a t-8 and 4 blade prop, you don't go far....I usually have my Terrova down when trolling and have it control boat if playing fish is too much, which usually isn't.

THE only contorl I have on the t-8 is steering,speed and gear selection have to be done manually

Remote tiller speed control, unless they come up with a VTS....never gonna be in my boat. [/quote']

Yes, gregg, it's still in gear when the idle button it activated, but a T8 idling in gear has little to no effect on most boats, like your yarcraft....no need to get up and take it out of gear if that's what you've been doing.

that does work good I did that for a half season when I didnt want to buy new batteries And still do it to save battery life

but i still sit behind the wheel

it is hard to sit comfortable back by the tiller, I have some ideas how i will eventually make it better but its tuff to make a good spot to sit and run a tiller on a wheeel boat and be as comfortalbe as you would be in a tiller boat

I have a "Wheel Boat" and bought it (Among other reasons) because I could have a kicker set up with remote controls at the wheel area. The seat will rotate 360 degrees and you have leg room so it actually allows you to remain seated and turn when operating. I just turn the seat and all the controls are right there. This was a big selling point when I bought the boat because most all my fishing is done trolling and I did not care for a tiller boat. (Just me)

Anyway, I can see issues with the remote tiller controls if you don't have the ability to rotate your seat, still do-able but not as convenient. Good luck, hope you find what works best for you.

Mike