• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled mods

Queenswake

I just got an Otter sled the other day to use for early/late ice when I'm just walking out. I'd like to build up some sort of rack/storage system to better organize equipment and also have an auger rack. I've seem some great things people have done on this and other forums out of wood and pvc pipes, but no one ever says how they fasten that structure to the sled. Just simple bolts? Just leery about drilling holes into the sled, not wanting to make any weak points that encourage cracking.

I have seem some people mount the sled on a pair of cross country skis and then attach the rack system to the skis itself with the sled just cradles within the rack. I have thought about that not only to prevent drilling into the sled but for the easy pulling on the skis. And mounting the skis wider than the sled and the rack on the skis allows you to on one side have an auger rack and the other have a spot for a hub shelter. Leaving your actual sled in the middle completely open for the rest of the gear. I like that.

Anyway, just looking for some ideas. Also, for those who have used PVC, isn't there a concern about cracking in the severe cold? I've also wished the sleds would have some loops built in for attaching ratchet straps and other tie-downs. I'm thinking eye bolts, but here again, I'm worried about drilling into the sled.

I drilled into my sled and most others have to. You put hyfax on and you drill, you mount gear, lights, batteries, ect, and you drill. The sleds are soft and rigid. It isn't going to crack unless you have some cheep knock off. Your Otter is on one of the best sleds on the market. They are roto molded not formed. If it was formed like a Clam, you "might", not saying you would have trouble, just a better chance (from what I hear).

Don't worry about drilling holes. In fact, the seat mount that comes with the otter pro xt shelter requires drilling into the sled, if i recall correctly. Drill away. Use washers on both sides to prevent pulling the nuts through over time.

The eye bolts for ratchet straps are a good idea.

I put Eye bolts on my otter sport sled to aid in ratchet strapping it down to my back rack that it rides on in the winter. I laser cut some 1.5" washers for any holes I drill in any of my sleds to keep the bolts or nuts from pulling through like aanderud said. Just extra precaution. My thing is if the shelter is for late and early ice when pulling by hand anything you do will add weight. Otters aren't light to begin with. Keep that in mind or you may end up with a 300 pound load when your mods are done and its loaded to fish. Good luck with anything you do. There are some portable mod threads on here that have great ideas and pics if you search. If you do anything make sure you post pics so we can all see and maybe borrow some ideas.