• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smart Phone Technology - A new opportunity for ice fishing electronics?

bk_MN_iceman

I recently went fishing with a couple of young people and they told me about a smartphone app. I have one already (backcountry navigator pro). I paid 9.99 for it and has been great but they told me about a free one (cabelas recon fish) so I checked it out.

Both apps are good but free is always better. But I think it may only be a free trial period but none the less its worth checking out for the gps mapped topographical lake maps they help be get closer to those dropoffs and Rock piles. It think you'll drill less holes. I don't think many people are aware of these neat tools so thats the reason for my post. Tell me what you think

p. S. I also think the cables recon fish app is more accurate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, I'll take Navionics over Cabela's Fish Recon every time. The only reason I have both is for comparisons in some areas and there are a couple maps on Cabela's that aren't on Navionics.

Cabela's app takes forever to load for me - I can't find a way to pre-download the areas i want to fish.

Navionics is hands down the better option - my 2c

I have a question for those who have the Navonics app for and Android device... I am looking for a few lakes in the Aitkin area. Before I buy the app, which I hear people love, I would like to know if the lakes I will be fishing local are mapped in the app. Could someone please check if these lakes in Aitkin county are mapped? Gun, Dam, Portage, Round (there are 3 in the county), and Rabbit.

Thank you!!!

I have a question for those who have the Navonics app for and Android device... I am looking for a few lakes in the Aitkin area. Before I buy the app, which I hear people love, I would like to know if the lakes I will be fishing local are mapped in the app. Could someone please check if these lakes in Aitkin county are mapped? Gun, Dam, Portage, Round (there are 3 in the county), and Rabbit.

Thank you!!!

Did a quick scan for you MDR, and yep...all seem to be listed w/ depths.

Thank you!!!

Portage - there but not in high def, 5-10 foot contours

Round - there and in high def, 1 foot contours

Rabbit - there but not in high def, 5-10 foot contours

Dam - there and in high def, 1 foot contours

Gun - there and in high def, 1 foot contours

I recently went fishing with a couple of young people and they told me about a smartphone app. I have one already (backcountry navigator pro). I paid 9.99 for it and has been great but they told me about a free one (cabelas recon fish) so I checked it out.

Both apps are good but free is always better. But I think it may only be a free trial period but none the less its worth checking out for the gps mapped topographical lake maps they help be get closer to those dropoffs and Rock piles. It think you'll drill less holes. I don't think many people are aware of these neat tools so thats the reason for my post. Tell me what you think

p. S. I also think the cables recon fish app is more accurate

Like others have said, there is no way to download the map, so it takes forever to load, zoom around, etc...I had it once too until it ran out, been using the navionics ever since and it sure is nice to have in your pocket.

There are more and more SmartPhone accessories/add-ons every year, so sure, I could see having the UWC and Sonar on it. Maybe it comes via Bluetooth vs. hardwired. Look at the leap Aqua View made. You have a tiny camera coming back on a fiber back to a display not much bigger than you cell phone.

Batter life is improving everyday. The technology exists, some of it is just too expensive.

Have you looked at the Apple Watch Phone?