• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flipover question

macminn

I have a Clam Yukon which I like a lot, but am looking to upgrade to a little bigger unit. Looking at a thermal x2, really like some of the features and the larger size. I have one pretty serious concern however, the weight. I use it mainly on my lake near Mille Lacs, or tow it behind my atv or sled to get to Mille Lacs. There are times I put it in the back of my suburban to go to another lake, etc.

I'm able to get the yukon in my truck usually without a whole lot of trouble. The x2 is 35lbs heavier I think. I'm looking for suggestions on getting it back into my truck if I'm fishing by myself.

I guess I load my 4 year old X2 in the back of my GMC Jimmy just fine loaded with auger and all other equipment as there is no room on the side, it can be a pain in the rear sometimes but if you get the lip of the front of the house on the floor then its just a lifting and twisting motion from the rear using the sleds angle on the front to help you get it in. Not saying this is the easiest route but I have tried ramps and that actually made it more difficult as the sliding resistance and angle (short enough boards to fit in the vehicle) almost made it impossible doing it that way. And no I'm not a big guy and I do realize suburbans sit a little higher than my Jimmy, just thinking with the sled design being more in your favor on the X2 that you should be able to get it in no problem if you could get your yukon in. 2c

I agree with the board as a ramp concept if setting one end on the tailgate and lifting/pushing the other end in doesn't work. I essentially do the same thing with my 60 pound kayaks when I hang them up 8 feet up the garage wall for the winter. I lean a ladder against the wall and walk the kayaks up them til they reach the ladder hooks they rest on.

I use a modified Quick Flip 3 that is heavier than original and use a Suburban for transport. Like others, I set the lip of the sled on the bumper and then shimmy it into the back of the truck. I take all of the heavy stuff out of the sled. I'm not a big guy either @ 5' 11" and 185lbs.