• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Michigan Fishing Reports

wavy and warm. Any early ice that was forming is now gone, we have had mid 50's for over 36hrs straight. I opened my ski trails but closed them on Sunday as everything is back to mud. Not a good start, but the cold weather is coming which is good before we get the big dumps of snow.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Now that's a new one... snow missing you.

Let's share info in here and build a nice group here. With over 24,000 visits from Michigan last month there are plenty to join in.

Hi Perchking. I just discovered this HSOforum as we are taking a trip to Lake of the Woods and a ton of guys use the forum there. Great info! I was up on Lake Gogebic last year. 6 guys, 1 jumbo perch in a full day of fishing. I wondered if you had any tips on when to go and what to area to target. We tried going out of Bergland and hit the north shore of the lake at first. 3 of the guys stayed there and three of us worked our way down the lake with no success. I would like to get over there again as it is only an hour from where I live and love the jumbos. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

welcome Joblander, this is a great site and we need more MI/Yooper involvement... I was born and raised in Gogebic County, so I have pretty much fished Lake Gogebic my whole life. For the past 10+ years I have been specifically targeting perch. I do however feel the walleye population is coming along nicely also. I now live in Rhinelander WI, so I dont get there as much as I would like but I still make it there a dozen times per year. Over the years I have brought many out of staters to find these pigs and have fished in other states that hold these big jumbos and presentation is everything.

First and foremost you need spring bobbers and good ones at that, lively bait, a good flasher, quality jigs, patience, and no more than 4lb test at least that is my choice and a understanding of the lake. The water is very stained so you can go a little heavier on the line if you choose.

These perch forage on wigglers or mayfly larva. I have caught them early ice on minnows and waxies, but not on a consistent basis. From year to year there are specific areas that produce "active" wiggler beds this has to be a trail and error process as these areas change from year to year. The only way to catch them is to find them as they travel in schools but not big schools average 2-6 seems to be about right.

Here are some things I have learned over the years and still some open questions that have yet to be answered:

- Find the right depth, my feeling is 20 to 28 feet is where you want to be.

- Find mud, you are wasting your time in rocks or weeds in the winter.

- LG is big 13,000 acres why does everyone cram into 5 little areas, pretty much the whole middle of the lake is mud and the correct depth?

- I will take quality of quantity any day, I have sat for days with no marks on my flasher. Every time I see a mark, I get excited because sooner or later someone will pull that elusive 3lb'er out.

good luck and post some reports...

Perchking, thanks for the info. I work down in Eagle River, not too far from your neck of the woods. When you say "quality jigs", any particular jig or color you have found to be most successful? We were given a heads up on the wigglers and spring bobbers before we went last year, but only one of us had a vex with. We won't make that mistake again. I will let you know when we go and how we do. I appreciate the feedback and am trying to get a few more Yoopers using this forum.

and use a rod holder, you will never hold a rod still enought for gogbic perch. And like Greg said don't be afaid to get away from people, even people in your group, if your 150' apart your too close, you can always talk to each other at night at the bar, not on the lake when you should be fishing, man I"m starting to talk like Gus now. But truly pick up these hints, they will help as I know they have helped me. I have fished alot of places and have caught large perch, but like Greg said I think its just a matter of time and this lake will have a 3#er up.

my advice is go with a strong buddy I fish off the areas where streams roll in to the lake, most of them have mud off them. I (make my buddy) punch a large grid pattern with my buddy maybe 30 - 40 holes and then we move around with jiggin equipment. the more active fish will come take a look but like hawkeye said for some reason you don't catch a ton on the aggressive action. If we have a fish there we will usually set a tip up (up) and move on. if its real cold i use a dead stick with a wiggler and a spoon and minnow head, they seem to be attracted to my jigging but end up eating the larva or fat heads some times off the bobber pole (dead stick) .

Some days all you do is drill holes and sweat, most days.... but then you get into them and its all worth it.