• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insulated Flip Houses

Duckman8

What is the best insulated flip fish house (warmest) between these three? Frabil, Otter pro series or Canvas Craft. I am in the market for a insulated fish house. I know canvas craft uses norpac by 3M, but I do not know on the others use. I am looking for the best insulated. Any advice and opinions are welcome!

I found the post that I was looking for. Review this thread.

Best Thermal comparison ever performed by a HSO member. Keep the date of the thread in mind since manufactures changes there products frequently.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2685955/1

I spoke with Otter at length at the Blaine show a few weeks ago. BartmanMN is correct to "keep the date of the thread in mind since mfr's change products frequently".

Otter's thermal fabric has a 600 Denier Outer Shell and a 300 Denier Inner Shell for a total of 900 Denier. I believe Canvas Craft's is rated at 300 Denier.

While Canvas Craft uses 3M Norpac, I'm not confident what Otter uses (they used to use Norpac but I believe have gone elsewhere within the last 2 years or so). That being said, 3M's patent on Thinsulate (Norpac) ran out over a year ago, thus the proliferation of 3rd party vendors and the subsequent overall recent lowering of price-points of thermal portables in general.

While some will swear to 3M, the delineation between 3M and the rest, is probably shrinking.

Personally, I've only fished out of Canvas Craft houses in the past and been quite warm. That being said, the new Otter has a higher rating so I would think either way, you'll be in good shape.

I just ordered the thermal tent to replace my non-thermal on my 2 yr old Frabill Predator yesterday. If I was purchasing new today, I personally would go with the Otter.

Had my heart set on Canvas Craft. They were not at the expo this year. I called them and they are cutting cost and are not doing any shows. I do agree with the purchase of MN products and believe that the insulation is by far the best on the market. However, in talking to them, they only sell the fabric, cover and frame work now. No sled, no seats and no hyfax at the store. These would have to be purchased separetly somewhere else. Let's talk otter out of the conversation and compare frabil and canvas craft that now have the same insulation.

Let's talk otter out of the conversation and compare frabil and canvas craft that now have the same insulation.

Funny thing is, Frabill no longer uses Norpac either. I spoke with their rep at the show and the customer support person yesterday (when I ordered).

Notice the thermal Predator has dropped from $999 to $799? They said they tested the new fabric against Norpac and there was no appreciable difference in performance.

Had my heart set on Canvas Craft. They were not at the expo this year. I called them and they are cutting cost and are not doing any shows. I do agree with the purchase of MN products and believe that the insulation is by far the best on the market. However, in talking to them, they only sell the fabric, cover and frame work now. No sled, no seats and no hyfax at the store. These would have to be purchased separetly somewhere else. Let's talk otter out of the conversation and compare frabil and canvas craft that now have the same insulation.

They do not have the same Thermal fabric unless you are buying an old model from 2-3 years ago.

Interesting. I would have done more research at the show if I had known that I could not get a complete package at canvas craft. Keep the info coming. Great stuff so far.

I know Canvas Craft is doing more made to order house to keep inventory down, but I thought you could still order a complete house from them. Give Matt or Ben a call there. You will not regret one of their houses!

Last year I bought a house from Canvas Craft. I did pick everything (sled, hyfax, seats, caddy, poles, shelter) up at the Rogers location. If that has changed it is too bad but not the end of the world. It is nice to grab everything in one shot but they don't drill any of the holes for the frame of the house so you're not out too much by having to pick the sled and seats up elsewhere. I have nothing but positive comments about the Otter, Canvas Craft combination. You get the best of the best from both companies.

Well, I decided to buy the Canvas Craft. The only problem is that I have to piece it together. They only make to order now which is not a big deal given the weather. This is how it happens. You order the canvas, poles, sled, sled cover and seat brackets. You need to purchase seperately the seats. They do not have any mag. sleds right now nor do they carry hyfax, but you can get them somewhere else. Everything on order. I picked up a sled tonight and looking for seats. Thanks for all the input.

Well, I decided to buy the Canvas Craft. The only problem is that I have to piece it together. They only make to order now which is not a big deal given the weather. This is how it happens. You order the canvas, poles, sled, sled cover and seat brackets. You need to purchase seperately the seats. They do not have any mag. sleds right now nor do they carry hyfax, but you can get them somewhere else. Everything on order. I picked up a sled tonight and looking for seats. Thanks for all the input.

You will love it! Best Below zero house out there.

I spoke with Otter at length at the Blaine show a few weeks ago.

Otter's thermal fabric has a 600 Denier Outer Shell and a 300 Denier Inner Shell for a total of 900 Denier. I believe Canvas Craft's is rated at 300 Denier.

While Canvas Craft uses 3M Norpac, I'm not confident what Otter uses (they used to use Norpac but I believe have gone elsewhere within the last 2 years or so).

Are you saying Canvas Craft's total Denier (outside and inside) is 300?

And, Canvas Craft's is not 3M NorPac but, actually NorPacR2, developed by Canvas Craft using 3M material. NorPacR2 is much thicker than 3M NorPac. NorPacR2 (Canvas Craft) is the best on the market.

I just ordered my Canvas Craft cover today for my sled. I bought my Canvas Craft last year and it was amazing. Heats REALLY well. You will love it. It's so thick and well built. I like when you calll them, you can also talk to a person who actually builds the house. Amazing this day and age. When my kids get a little older I will be getting the double.

Simple1