• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Things better just left alone...

Bobby Bass

Here is the start to a thread about things that were just better left alone, no improvement needed.

Being someone who uses a gas can on just about a daily basis I just got done soaking my left glove from one of them safety spouts that are mandatory on gas cans. I understand the idea behind them. I am sure everyone has had a can tip over and it spilled some gas BUT I seem to spill gas every time from the safety spouts as they don't fit leaf blowers or weed wackers. You have to use a funnel to catch the splash back. Give me an old fashion plain Jane spout that does not require a spring loaded nozzle that made five dollar gas cans cost fifteen dollars.

I won't even get into New Coke over Old Coke..

Bobby,

this Summer I decided to replace one of my gas cans because when I filled my pontoon with it it always dripped some gas into the lake. Didn't bother me too much but my 12 year old daughter did the math and the 4 Tablespoons of gas in a 2500 acre lake that averages about 80 feet deep was too much of an environmental hazard so the pressure was on.

I didn't even know that they had these "new and improved" gas cans but I looked around and my thoughts were that congress or the EPA must have outlawed any can without this lock on it. Problem #1, I couldn't get the nozzle off to fill the can at the gas station. #2 the "vent" must be built in somewhere and frankly when I did finally get the nozzle pushed down with the right amount of pressure and at the correct angle the can emptied so slow that my arms got tired. #3 I ended up breaking some spring out of the nozzle so it wouldn't work.

Being a genius I took the old nozzle off of an old can and now it still drips gas a bit but since there isn't a vent it drips more gas into the lake than my old "bad" can because I have to hold the can longer. The rainbow in the lake sure is purdy though.

Oh man, I hear ya on the gas cans. I wonder if it's illegal to sell still-working older cans on the internet? I would be a buyer. I just take the control spout off entirely and pour into a funnel CAREFULLY!

Employment would be even lower than it is if we didn't hire government agencies to make regulations to protect us from ourselves wink

Yes, gas is dangerous. MY DAD TAUGHT ME THAT! That should be all the protection anyone needs.

And to add to the list of things that they should've left well-enough alone:

Toilets: The new ones "conserve" water by using a smaller tank - Now I often flush twice and use 20%-30% more water than I used to get in one flush of the older models.

Light Bulbs: Sure the CFLs last longer and are efficient but they give your house all the romance of a crime lab, and if you should drop and break one, you may have a serious mercury contamination issue. Not what I want in a lamp in my 5 year old's room. I have no problem with selling them for those who want them. But to outlaw incandescents is just ridiculous. So much for free markets.

Great thread! I feel better already smile Keep them coming!

Leech I am so glad I am not alone, I have gone to rummage sales in search of gas cans with the old style spout. You are lucky to have found a spout that fits as it seems every manufacturer has to have their own special style for their can.

I would like to add another thing that did not need improvement. The toilet bowl.... The water saver toilet bowls now take three or as many as four flushes to wash the grand sons hot wheels down the drain. I remember when one was all that was needed, for everything. (Thunder you beat me to it)

Leech I am so glad I am not alone, I have gone to rummage sales in search of gas cans with the old style spout. You are lucky to have found a spout that fits as it seems every manufacturer has to have their own special style for their can.

I would like to add another thing that did not need improvement. The toilet bowl.... The water saver toilet bowls now take three or as many as four flushes to wash the grand sons hot wheels down the drain. I remember when one was all that was needed, for everything. (Thunder you beat me to it)

HAHA,

Yeah, think we hit "Submit" at about the same time smile

Have you recently looked under the hood of the 2012-2013 automobiles? You can't even SEE an engine anymore! Can't see a radiator, belts, filters, ANYTHING! Just large, mysterious plastic shrouds that cover everything and can only be removed by a certified Harvard graduate in Astro-physics, and molecular biology!

I really miss the old cars and trucks. The ones where you could lift the hood, crawl inside, and fix pretty much anything, right at home, in your driveway. It was simple to replace any component that went bad, replace a belt, filter, plugs, alternator, whatever. Now I don't even know where to find these things under the hood, or even what they look like....

And what have we gained? A couple miles per gallon. A couple miles... frown

We need to pay a certified mechanic, at the dealership, huge money to reset the computer module (somewhere in there) because we didn't tighten the gas cap enough, or because one tire is a little low on air pressure. Can we really call this progress?

Count me in for another frustrated gas-can user. Went to the Big W to get a can because we needed another one to keep up north by the boat instead of hauling one from home each weekend, and I was curious about why they were all expensive. When I figured it out while trying to fill the basstard, I was quite unhappy. I figure the old ones are safer, considering they don't send me into a fit just trying to use them.

Anyone got any old ones to sell? smile

Two weeks ago I went to get gas for my generator and auger. When I got to the gas station I realized I left my trusty gas can back at the fish house. I bought one of these new ones that you describe. Terrible design and horrible function. I spilt more gas using that thing once than I ever have with my good five gallon. And the cost! $14.50 for a two gallon tank! I remembered reading this thread a while back and had to comment.

One think I've learned is that all the changes and laws for these changes are tied to someone (usually a politician) making a bunch of money.

After using this "new and improved" can, all of my older cans are now prized possessions that are being secured in the garage under lock and key. I might have to get a gas can safe.

How about the Lowrance H2Os. I still have mine, but I can only see half the screen. Looked at those available at the Big-C Store as replacement, but nothing I was shown and demoed seemed to be equal to or better than my one-half, H2O.