• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying Squirrels

Caught a Southern Flying Squirrel in my house tonight (north metro) anyone deal with these before? After some reading I'm thinking the odds of just one are not good, any thoughts? First critter in my house in the last 8 years...

I didnt even know they existed in Minnesota until about 10 years ago and didnt see my first 1 until last year. The only thing I could suggest is finding out how they are getting in then sealing that entry point at night seeing as how they are nocturnal. Place a trap or 2 where they are nesting to catch any that get caught inside.

After further research, hire an exterminator. "Traps set in the attic will not catch the squirrels. Squirrels do not enter traps in attics, ever, for whatever reason." They also will chew a new entrance holes should you block one. southerns also have a "substantial" homing ability.

We've always had flying squirrels in northern MN. Don't know the difference between the "Southern" and "Northern" varieties, but I remember reading their territories overlap. You rarely see them because they are strictly nocturnal, but I've caught them in weasel traps since I was a kid in the 1960's.

skee0025, thanks for that bit of info, I didn't know that or find that on the web. My plan was to set a live trap in the attic and visually look to see if I could see any more or evidence. A couple hundred bucks for peace of mind will go a long way for the Mrs. Any companies recommended in the metro?

Just set some good old fashioned rat traps (the jumbo mouse trap -wooden) and use sweets on the pan. We grew up in an old house (central mn) and had them all the time - esp in fall and winter. They are not hard to catch. I've caught four in the past two days in my dogproof coon traps (out on the trapline). They love marshmallows. Peanutbutter too.