• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 4 stroke Lower Unit Question

Chuckster

Any of you Merc guys out there know how to get the gear shaft and shifter linkage lined up when re-attach a lower unit? I have a 90 hp Merc 4 stroke.

I believe my error was when I pulled the LU off I had it in neutral. From what I read, I should have had it in the forward position so that the linkage and gear shaft splines cannot rotate. Now I am having trouble trying to re-attach, I can get the gear shaft back to line up but not the linkage. I get it within approx a half an inch and then it hangs up, and it feels like the linkage is whats giving me trouble, but I could be wrong. I've tried rotating the prop shaft, but that hasnt worked either. Also tried the fly weel rotation, but that was a no-go as well.

Any tips on getting this done?

If you call Mercury, they will walk you through how to line eveything up to have it work correctly.

I called then once and they were very nice and helpfull.

Just be carefull when you slide the shaft back up as you can do damage in the top if you hit the wrong spot.

saw this on another forum,

Re: Install and align shift cam in lower unit for Mercury 90 hp 4 stroke

Prop should click in one direction and lock in the other direction in fowards the prop should spin freely in both directions in neutral and the prop shold lock in both directions in reverse. If this is not what you have you have improperly installed the LU and it must be taken down and the thottle lever must be in the same position as the lu when going back up. Tha cam should be on the lowest dentent in fowards facing the front most point of the LU when in fowards. The hi dentent shoud be facing the foward most point of the LU when the LU is in reverse. The cam should be between the Hi and low dentent facing the foward most point of the LU when in neutral Prop spins freely then set the shifter in neutral the sock it back up

Hope this helps.