• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

selling photo to magazine

Could someone share some thoughts on what the going rate(s) are and the methods to make contact for selling photos to a conservation organization such as DU of QF? I have a few things that may be good enough to send to them but I have no idea how this business functions.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

You'll have to contact each one thru their editor. You should be able to find the contact info on their web site.They all pay differently and magazine editors are some of the most frustrating people to work with. They all pay differently from $20 for a small inside photo to $500 or more for a cover. They also differ in their submission requirements. Some editors will respond to emails and others will ignore you. I've sold a few photos to Outdoor News and they don't pay much, but their requirements are minimal and the editor is good at not responding to emails. I'm suppose to have a small photo in Fur, Fish and Game next month, but that one is months overdue because of advertising so time will tell. They also don't pay much but it's still kinda cool since they're national. I'm also supposed to have the cover of Pheasants Forever in January, but once again I'm not spending the money until I've got it. Personally, I don't have the patience required to work with magazine editors. After getting ignored a few times, I lost interest. But, I do know someone that has sold photos to DU and I've never dealt with them. I say, find the contact info on their page or in their magazine and you should be able to find out what they require. Good luck.

I would suggest going to your library and looking for "The Writers Market" or "the Writers Journal". Its a publication that comes out annually. Its about 2 inches thick. Anyway it will give EVERY magazine and book publisher in North America and tell WHAT they want, HOW, they want it, What theyll pay for it, etc. etc.

Its a good thing to buy through Amazon or something too if you are interested in selling photos or articles... or even write books!

Good luck!