• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Collar Question

P_Norts

We had a 13 year old lab who wore a 1" webb strap, buckle collar for as long as I can remember. We also got her off the internet,a flat name tag that slid onto the webbing and lied flat. Worked well for years.

We put her down in July and now have 2, six month old black lab pups. At first they had cheap plastic quick snap collars that they outgrew. It seems as if these collars stretched over time. The webbing was not like that of the old labs. One of the pups got a new one of these plastic quick snap collars as a gift. Once again webbing( I really can't call it a webbing, that the wrong term) has stretched. The collar is very easy to gnaw, cuz the other pup has done so. The plastic buckle also seems to be very breakable to me. I have found some on the net with silver, metal buckle but dont know if they are any sturdier and are not cheap. I am just confused as to these collars quality.

I would like to use the old thick webbing type with a buckle, just seems to be sturdier. However, this type is very hard to find anymore, espcially with any color selection. Is their anyone out there using these newer material collars with quick release snaps? Can I get some opinions of these please? Other problem with these quick release collars is you can not get the flat name tags on them because of the quick snap buckles. Need some thoughts for the experienced please and thanks.

Mama Norts

We use the plastic/vinly/nylon (what ever it is) with a traditional buckle.

The advantage over the cloth/web are they don't absorb water which keeps bacteria down.

That said, our dogs only wear collars when we leave the neighborhood and are supervised. Never when they are alone and unsupervised. Almost lost one that way.

for as long as I have had dogs and that is since moses was a baby I have used the traditional Leather collars. I now use the ones from Lion Country Supply that are about 3 inches wide traditioal silver metal buckle on them and have no issues with them.If you are set on the web style MnDakota or something like that makes some good ones and you can pick them up at Fleet Farm