• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why do trailers have such little wheels?

Captain Ken

I have an older steel trailer that I got used. It needs some rehab on the parts that hold the axle to the bed due to rust. I was thinking, why do they have such little, fat tires. It is just for the profile? It seems that those tires must take a whipping going along at 70 mph. So, that brings up my next question, would it be better to change to a regular axle and put bigger tires on vs the torsion axle? This would mean the tires would be on the outside of the trailer vs underneath, so the trailer would be wider in the garage. Any other pros or cons you can think of?

Thanks

Capt Ken

I assume it's a snowmobile trailer. If that's the case, the tires are underneath the trailer instead of larger ones outside it so the trailer bed can be wider, to handle 2 sleds. Here in Minnesota, the max trailer width is, I think, 8' 3". If this is a sled trailer, with a bed that's 8' wide, putting longer axles and tires on the outside of the trailer would make it too wide to legally pull down the road.

Yes, the tires do take a beating going down the road. But, with some weight on the trailer it's not so bad. Once again, if this is a snowmobile trailer it's not rated to carry cars, bulldozers, 4000 lbs of shingles, etc. Check the weight rating of the trailer itself before doing serious modifications.

The width thing had not even crossed my mind. Thanks. Based on a few conversations with friends I guess I will resist the urge to overengineer the thing and just fix it back the way it was before the rust ate through the metal pieces that hold the axle to the bed.

Ken