• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

488 twin, Hard starting...

widetrack

Looking for a little help.

My 488 twin Polaris doesn't want to start after sitting for a while (cold) I can't get it to fire without choke, with 1/2 choke, full choke etc... The only way I can get it running is to put the throttle to full and turn over, and over, and over, then it finally starts. Then it dump raw gas out the exhaust. Once it is running it is flawless, and starting warm is fine too.

Any ideas guys?

Just put brand new plugs in, and same results.

I have the same problem on mine when I don't shut the fuel off, even if it's only parked a couple hours. If I shut the fuel off when I park it and then open the valve right before starting the machine it will start on the second or third pull every time. I suspect either sticky needles/seats or floats in the carbs, or the diaphram in the fuel pump, but I have not dug into it yet to see which one is the culprit.

I'd be interested to know if you've tried this and if yours acts the same.

Easy fix
The needle and seats are all metal on the Polaris machines (metal on metal + lots of vibration is never good). I suggest when you replace them you get the viton tipped needles. I know that Dennis Kirk carries the genuine mikuni part.

My EXT 580 did that all the time, until the CDI (ignition) box failed. The CDI would work, not work, or just not give enough juice for the spark plugs....then it died. Got another CDI box and problems are solved. Starts immediately now and runs perfect. I thought it was strange, but as long as it runs... grin.gif