• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some advice

old guy

I have been away from snowmobiling for 20+ years - I now am retired, live by a large lake and want to buy a used machine-it will be used mostly for going ice fishing- I need a two person seat, electric start, and hope to spend less than $2500-

I don't care about speed but do want something that will not spin out, etc, on ice when there is no snow - that used to mean putting studs in the track - is that still the way to go?

Can you suggest any machines that might fit what I am looking for?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I only know Polaris well. Sounds like you could use a utility sled or a 2-up. Skidoo has some very nice setups like this. If your not towing too much weight any sled with a regular 121 inch track will do. The longer 136 is better in deeper snow. On the smaller track 72 studs would probably be enough for your application although 96 is a more popular number. Around 500 cc would fit the bill nicely. Anything bigger wouldn't hurt but you don't need to pay for more cc unless you want to go fast or you get a better deal. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Three years ago I bought a Polaris indy trail delux touring sled for my wife to trail ride and for me to use fishing. It's a 1991. Now it has over 5500 miles which I think is getting up there, but the machine is great. It has electric start, reverse, long track and 2 up seat. It has a hitch on it and it runs great. It's a 500 fan cooled motor and I don't think you need anything bigger. Plenty of power for pulling. They are pretty cheap. I'm sure you could get one for around 1000-1500 maybe less depending on the year. And since they are not very High performance It's a pretty safe bet that they were probably not abused. When I got it I took it in and had it checked over and the carbs professionally cleaned and adjusted and have not had one problem with the machine since.