• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled Recomendation?

Jeff S

My sled turned to toast this weekend and I'm looking to buy a new one (02,03,04).

My question is: What sled would you recomed that is somewhat utility (i.e. icefishing) yet would also be a good trail sled also?

I'd prefer Polaris but am open to any suggestions.

Thank's for your help,
Jeff S

I guess if your lookin for 2-up or single rider. performance or trail performance. I'm partial to Yamaha. Have been running Vmax 600-700 deluxes. Also rode a viper and rx-1. all good. Perfer to go with a 700 deluxe. electric start and reverse. Yeah it's still mechanical and not electris like the ski-doo or polaris, but it works just as good.. Some people will tell ya it slow the machine down with all the extra weight and gears, that just bologny. I've rode sleds with reverse and the same thing with out, neither one was slower that the other.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.

i think a 600cc sled is a good all around sled. All manufacturers these days make good machines. It all depends on your preference. I have an Artic Cat bateryless EFI, it was -30, 3 pulls it was running. no chokes to mess with. Another thing to look at is the accesories you might want to add on for the utility use of the sled. good luck

Jeff,
My dad has a Arctic Cat 4-stroke EFI 2 up trail sled that is just sweet for trail riding and utility. It has a rack on the back with a hitch and reverse. I thought it also had storage under the seat(?). There's Handwarmers and such for the passenger and adjustable back rest when you ride solo. It's a Cadillac of sleds!

He bought it new in 2002 and hardly rode it because of no snow. He found the exact same sled at a dealer ('02 carryover) for $3,000 less! Kinda stinks.

You don't mention what kind of performance you want for the trails, but if you want utility I assume you don't want a lake racers of 600cc's or more. They are fussy performance sleds that don't like low RPM's and pulling fishhouses around.

I personally ride a '97 440 ZL Cat liquid that has been absolutely flawless in 3500 miles and lots of pulling, riding and abuse. smile.gif

I have a 2002 500 XC SP and a 1999 550 Super Sport fan cooled. The 500 is a great trail sled to run hard and fast...I'm not that big of a guy so it's perfect handling size for me.

My 550 fan has been run from -20 F to 40 F with no issues. Any day under 25 degrees F it's snappy, above 35 it gets a little doggy, but so does my liquid. Even in warm weather it's never overheated. Makes sense though, warm air means rich burn which is a cooler burn than lean. Thought about selling this one. Would you be interested? I think she has about 2000 miles on it if I remember correctly. I could send pics. [email protected]

A fan cooled sled will work better if there is very little snow on the lakes.

You don't have to worry about snow hitting your heat exchangers. They are less likely to overheat.

Earlier this winter, Mille acs had little or no snow. I had no problems with my fan cooled sled.

I assume two up snowmobiles might be geared a little more for power as opposed to speed.
Something that might be good for towing a portable with.

Thanks guys!

I bought a '04 550 Polaris Edge Touring this past saturday. It's a fan cooled with push botton reverse. The rear seat comes off and I'm putting a rack on the back (sold as an accessory). The rack is 27"long and should hold my Fish Trap perfect.

Hope winter holds on a little bit longer now!!! smile.gif

Jeff S

Just picked up a Polaris SKS 700 with a 144" track. All I can say is what a machine. I have been using a Polaris 600 touring model and have gotten stuck in the slush many times. This SKS is awsome. Find a deep snow sled with an extra long track with a deep tread. You will love it.

Without a doubt, a Skidoo Skandic SWT (Super Wide Track) will fit the bill. It has all the power you will need and more track (24" wide)than any other. The big skis and wide track float over deep snow. Even though it is a big muscle sled, the ride is exceptional. There is a whole line of Skandics to choose from but from my experience the SWT will out perform anything.

Northwoods-an F5 or F7? Can you see someone pulling a portable fish house with an auger strapped on back going 125mph? I'm with you on the performance, though. I rode with a guy this weekend that had one, that thing is fast. Another guy had a Ski-doo MXZ REV 800, pretty nice sled also.

Bluebill,
It's a '91 Polaris Indy 500 Classic. The crank is shot, the main bearing is shot, needs a new pipe, and if that were all fixed my mechanic suggested a ring job. I bought it used 7 years ago and have done very little trail riding, mainly used for ice fishing. The track is studded. Interested?