• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Updating

amateurfishing

i have an '84 Nordic Crestliner and really enjoy it. i think everything is pretty close to original on boat including flooring layout. up front @ bow platform i have a nice size spot for trolling battery & livewell (which i just use for tackle storage). im pretty sure i have a lot of "wasted" space under that floor that i would like to repurpose for greater storage capacity if possible. anyone have experience with a semi small project like this just trying to possibly replace the top of floor while adding additional storage pockets under the floor. doubt this would be a winter project as i dont have a heated garage or plact to store it where i could get access whenever i want. just wondering how simple the project may be and if anyone would like to help or offer advice for some brews or something

i only have 2 under floor areas currently...livewell & battery storage, i think battery storage is 2-3 times bigger than it needs to be plus have plenty of room around outside areas of hull to use for smaller items

I'm not sure how that boat is setup, but you'd be looking at removing the carpet, seats, and deck?

Is it a open deck or is there console(s)? If you're going to replace the deck Id do it right and replace the whole deck not just bits and pieces. Use marine grade plywood or a good exterior grade A/C plywood, coated in polyster or epoxy resin. fill all holes drilled in the deck/wood with 3m4200 so no rot occurs. make sure to measure everything before tearing it out and draw up a diagram of how it's all laid out currently. There are other options to look at than using carpet again...my opinion: carpet has no place in a fishing boat.

I have a thread of my rebuild, although it is a glass boat, I made a few small modifications to it along the way.

im hoping to avoid a complete rebuild and change of flooring just to add more storage space in the front deck flooring. yes i totally agree it would be smarter & better to replace everything at once but dont have the time, space, or $$ for all of that. am hoping for an easier short fix that will get me by for a handful of years. i have side console steering

I have seen hatch covers at cabelas. I have not done one but it looks like a frame and the lid. Make sure you don't cut any framing. Plan on making a box or something underneith so your stuff doesn't get wet or slide somewhere that you can't reach it. Seal your cuts in the floor before installing anything over the top.

I used the following one from Cabelas and like it (sorry for the large pics). I just marketed out on the carpet where I needed to cut, and then used a razor to cut the carpet. After that figured out the exact dimensions to cut an used a circular saw to cut the hole. I did have to cut out some of the floatation foam (it was at least 6" below the deck) and shoved it up underneath the front more. Keep that in mind as you may have foam under yours.

BTW, I first cut a small 4" x 4" square where I planned to mount the hatch so I could reach my arm in there to feel around for any structure...to be sure I didn't cut it.

full-3806-25640-img_1514.jpg

full-3806-25641-img_8510.jpg

I just bought the hatch. I was not concerned about have dry storage and water does get below that deck from around the sides of the deck. There was not enough room to add a box where I put this anyways.

I went with the Termpress hatch, and it is durable. I believe you can stand on it as in the description on Cabelas site says it's structurally reinforced for high traffic areas. The add claims it's weather tight and there is a rubber seal. Since water comes in from the edges of the deck I have no way to really say for sure. If I need something to remain dry I will just put it in a dry bag under the hatch.