• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

info on putting 670 rotax into polaris body

HEDHUNTER

Some may be more difficult than mine but the motor plate from my '95 Summit 670 fit quite nicely into a 1990 Indy 400 chassis. I think two or three of the holes even lined up! One just has to make sure to clear the steering, tunnel and bulkhead with the lower carbs. Seems to me we turned the boots so that the carbs were more level but everything is tight in that area. Thinking longer is always better I spaced mine so that I run Cat belts now. I hated trying to get my hands between the clutches on the Doo. Now it's a piece of cake. I even kept the HAC but most people didn't. I understand that a lot of sleds didn't have this anyway but it has probably saved me from doing a lot of jetting changes over the years. I used foam UNI filters on the carbs, modified the belly pan and associated brackets and use the stock pipe. I changed to a lighter can and lost a lot of weight there. That can change was the worst of the whole ordeal it seems. Good luck either way you go as I would think there lots of suspensions lying about from the '94s at this point. Was that front or rear that you were looking for? Have you considered selling that Indy engine and planting that Rotax in there? I wouldn't hesitate.

Kevin

If you sell the 500 engine try to keep the motor plate. You know where it mounts to and you can just mount the Rotax onto it. I've seen that work too. Good luck. It takes some tinkering but those engines rock in a lighter sled. I can hardly believe what I've seen some of them do.

Kevin

mueske thanks for the info you seem to really know whats up with theser changes reaaaally appreciate these tips . any more would be great would like to keep this sled together this body is like a 1981 would like to get a little newer indy body any more tips would be great

Dew,
Look around for cheap Indys with bad engines. Yours is kinda old and for several reasons a newer one would work better. In Utah and Wyoming it's not unusual to find a complete sled, often with a bad motor, for $100-500. These are for early 90's SKS models. There are a half-dozen 1988-1991 twins available locally for less than $800 that have nothing wrong with them. Many people want the newest sleds that they can get. The last two years people were almost giving away Ultras as nobody has been able to make them run well or very long. A real boon for those with Rotax engines! Check out online auctions, "shopper" papers, local scrapyards and newspaper classifieds for something in your neck of the woods. You'll find something. Maybe you want to use the sled that you have and "practice" with it and later get a newer chassis to mount your engine in. Good luck.

Kevin

mueske is it snowing there very hard to find sleds that cheap here even with bad motors sounds like a guy could make money bringing them back here what part of the state are you in i have a sister out there would maybe be worth me driving there to pick one up

mueske is it also better to use an sks rather than a regular one also how is it to wire these up do you have to use ski doo harness or indy harness just trying to get all info i can never heard of anyone around here doing that lots of old skidoos around here suppose its cause there tipppy tanks

dew,

I live in the southwest corner of Wyoming in Evanston. Many other Minnesotans were also transplanted here during the 80s. We should have a club. We just got about a foot today but the ski areas in Utah, about 90 mins. away, got over 3 feet. No doubt the Uinta Mountains 30 miles south of here did too. Because of the 5 year long drought the sled prices have been low but today's storm didn't help! We mostly have SKS or RMK models because we learned years ago that the longer tracks climbed better and had better flotation. People laugh at my 136" tracks now but they were the hot ticket just 10 years ago. Most have tracks over 144" so the "short tracks" like mine have come down in value. Funny, just a few years ago we were calling 121" tracks short tracks. I can't believe that all of the Indys in Minnesota have been sold or that they want much for them; driving over a thousand miles for a sled seems silly at this point. If you had a half dozen Rotax engines however...
Email me for more info.

Kevin
[email protected]