• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wanted: a good doe

deerminator

More specifially, wondering if anyone has any recommendations on public land in managed or intensive permit areas, or even the Cities zone to tag a doe. I filled my lottery tag in my home permit area and have a few unplanned days off for work. With the kids in school and the Mrs. at work, Lord knows I don't want to spend an opportunity like that on fall yard work. Ha! Been checking out my Sportsmans Connection Atlas' for all the WMAs in each area. The good thing is, it's overwhelming to look at! Anyway, not looking for any secret spots just general recommendations or PMs on the subject.

I also looked at turkey hunting in my permit area but just haven't been able to locate them in areas I currently have permission to hunt. Though I could start knocking on doors.

I want one too, but you're probably not going to get many replies here! I already tried! smile Folks are pretty protective of deer it seems. Can't blame them. Best bet is to locate some public ground on some managed or intensive areas and do some homework. Hard to do when you only have a few days to get the job done though. I've been hunting in a hunters choice unit and it's no fun passing up does. Really itchy to drop the string!

First find the management or intensive area you want to hunt, then hit the county HSOforum and look for any GIS mapping, figure out how to find public land on the map and BOOM you are set. Then hit your favority aerial photo HSOforum and print up some maps and you are golden, been doing this for years.

Thanks Bear. I have been checking out some spots using Google Earth. I also know of a WMA right by the resort we stay at each year on the Whitefish chain that we always see deer coming out of at dusk and I've hiked it quite a bit. Considering that and throwing a few dineros the Crosslake way for a night or two to just go out and have some fun scouting and hunting. No pressure. You probably know the one I'm talking about.

And Leech, I've hit three SETS of deer in the past 7 years. I try to drive slow and cautious on the back roads around our place but many times they're like heat seeking missles. I received a letter from State Farm saying they've noticed an "unfavorable trend." That was it. lol. Nothing on what they would do next, just that they didn't like it.