• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Sausage Question

I was lucky enough to get 2 antelope in Wyoming with the stick and string. Now i want to make summer sausage. I read thru the "adventurous soul" thread and noticed some i would like to try. The question i have is how much pork is a person to add to this? I plan on stuffing this in tubes and smoking it so does anyone have a recipe they can post up? I prefer one with cheese smile. I have bought the kits and was not overly impressed with the results in the past. Thanks in advance.

i used to use a small portion of pork fat to my batches. that is hard to find now. i would go with venison and beef. try a small batch first like 5 or 10 pounds to see if you like it. this is a simple recipe but tasty. now this does not call for cheese, however if you want to see the cheese you have to use high temp cheese. if you want to taste the cheese then you can use the shredded cheese found in grocery stores cause it will melt during the cooking process. [that's what i have been using].

3 lbs. venison [or antelope]

2 lbs. 80/20 ground beef or chuck

1 tsp garlic powder

3 T kosher salt

1 T onion powder

3 T black pepper

2 T paprika

1 T whole mustard seed

1 T liquid smoke [if not using a smoker]

1 tsp prague powder or insta cure

1 1/2 cup ice water

1 cup dried milk powder

take the venison and beef and grind it through a course plate. then put the spices and cure in the water and mix it well. pour that mix onto the meat mix and also the dried milk powder. mix well with your hands.

then put on the fine plate and grind once more. put the meat mix in a plastic or glass container and cover with plastic wrap. put in the refrigerator overnight to let the seasonings blend along with the cure.

the next day stuff the mix into non edible fibrouse casings.

then put in the smoker at 200 to 225 until the internal temp is 165. i put the thermometer in one end of the tube in the center and and stick it all the way in with just the gauge showing.

when done i give the sausage a ice water bath to cool it quickly and then hang them to dry some and then vacume pac or meat wrap for the freezer. good luck.