• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Egress window - estimated costs?

Cheetah

I had one installed last year. They installed an anderson window, cut the opening, and trimmed the outside. They charged me $1100. I dug the hole, bought the well and installed it. I believe that was about $350. Its a lot of work to dig the hole but you can save yourself some good money. If your interested in the info on the contractor that installed mine, pm me. I was happy with the work they did.

cheetah do you have a poured wall or blocks,is the basement finished where it goes?what are the requirements or codes by youre municipality?i am a concrete contractor and put them in for existing foundations , put new ones in for new homes also, they run window, well , cover and escape ladder 970.00 to 1150.00 depending if you want a good one or a cheap one,in an existing home you have to figure labor for digging ,and sawing and instalation and a permit if required, dont let the costs scare you they are very nice and open up a hole new diminsion to youre basement,let alone piece of mind if you have a bedroom downstairs ,in case of fire youre insurance man will definatly give you credit in that respect,some places they are code if you have a bedroom downstairs.

Thanks for the input guys.

I live in Roseville, home was built in '55 and has block foundation. Basement was finished by previous owner ~8ish years ago but is just one big finished space. I am considering putting up a wall to partition off a bedroom space. Roseville requires than an egress window be in each basement bedroom.

The basement does have one egress window in the center, but the layout is weird and it makes more sense to put the new bedroom space on one of the ends nearest the bathroom. That would require adding an additional egress window.

Of course I still need to get my wife to agree to this project, so who knows if it will really happen or not...