• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you're every in San Francisco

Head over to the Suppenkuche! My wife and I were there for an anniversary trip as she used to work and live there. We stayed at a B&B and this place was nearby. Real authentic German fare and lots of good beers. I had "Sauteed Venison Medallions in Red Wine Plum Sauce with Red Cabbage & Spätzle." Pretty bleepin' good and the wife had a meatloaf slice, wrapped in bacon with an egg in the middle and mashed potatoes with onion sauce. Just thought I would mention as it combined lots of our favorites on the this board - good beer, German food, bacon, and last but not least venison!

Another place is the Hayes Street Grill. They put a couple of huge, pan fried soft shell crabs on a plate with a huge cup full of fresh french fries on the side. You knew not to ask for ketchup as soaking up the remaining crab juice with the fries was pretty much the best thing ever.

I go there for work quite a bit so I will have to try that. Another is Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf or in Sausalito. Though, the first is an institution and while some say its too touristy and pricey, it's also really good seafood caught locally. You look out the windows onto the bay and there are crabbing and fishing boats everywhere along the piers. Plus the old school supper club atmosphere with the waiters dressed like the judge in Caddyshack is my style. lol.

On an unrelated note, I travel all over quite a bit for work as well since my company is based in Europe. But hands down, the best meal I've ever had was at Lost Lake Lodge on the Gull Lake Narrows. I had duck ravioli for an appetizer, buffalo short ribs with sweet corn risotto and creme brulee for dessert. Good stuff and great atmosphere. Not the type of place to bring the kids to until they're older to appreciate. The wife and I had the wine pairings with dinner and it took nearly 2 1/2 hours to eat but was very relaxing.