• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 385ci vs Marcum LX7

fisherman-andy

Somewhere along the lines I have my heart set on a 385ci unit in the future. However I am interested in how its compared to the likes such as an LX7. I understand that it may not have the precised features of the LX7 but both units have their pros and cons and I have already done some research.

Im sold on the open water features. What I want is user reviews of the bird during hardwater ice season. Can anyone shed some light? Im interested in the RTS & graphing capabilities of the 385ci and can it be used in ice mode like the LX7?

Hi Andy,

385ci does everything pretty good. Gps/Lakemaster capibility are awesome. Portable, can be put on your ATV/Snowmobile and when you get to your site re mount with there quick realease system back to the ice base pack.

You do have a line graph like the LX7. I recommend using the 83khz screen and doing a bottom lock, with the Rts set on narrow or no RTS.

Three things that I wish they could change. 1) There is some sort of lag on the screen. It is not real time.

2) Using the screen you wish It was bigger, I am saving up for a 597ci hd, despite the higher battery usage.

3)Good luck trying to fish with anybody in the area, much less right next to you. I have tried to dial it out with noise rejection, have not had any luck.

I love the 385ci combo. Where I found it was the most useful was when I was at Mile Lacs last year. Hole hopping for Walleye. I got on some structure and I was in between 22 and 32ft of water. Had to figure out what foot of water they were stacked. The lakemaster chip and gps are the bomb. I knew exactly where I was and I could move to any part of the structure I wanted. Hit another screen and I was fishing. That easy, and very productive.

Had a chance to work with the LX7 also. It does everything very well with no lag or interfierence. Zooms and graphs, are awesome. Can't go wrong with the 7.

Hi Andy,

3)Good luck trying to fish with anybody in the area, much less right next to you. I have tried to dial it out with noise rejection, have not had any luck.

Hmmm. If figure it would run the same frequency as my Bird Ice 55, which doesnt have problems being around Vex's and Marcums. But that may be a deal breaker if its unfishable next to other flashers.

I hear ya.

i fished next a vexilar at upper red lake with a sandy bottom. Drove it nuts. Same thing at Mille Lacs with a LX5. If there was a way to dial it out, maybe somebody can give some setting that will knock it out. I have not found it.

This fishfinder has a place in ice fishing though. GPS and LM are a must.