• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolf applications available now

Wolf lottery applications due Sept. 6

(Released August 6, 2012)

Applications for Minnesota’s first-ever regulated wolf hunting and trapping season are being taken now through Thursday, Sept. 6, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Individuals may apply for only one license from three available options:

Early season hunting, which runs from Nov. 3 through Nov.18 in all Series 100 areas and Nov. 3 through Nov. 11 in Series 200 areas located within the northwest wolf hunting zone.

Late season hunting, which runs from Nov. 24 through Jan. 31, 2013, in all three wolf zones.

Late season trapping, which runs from Nov. 24 through Jan. 31, 2013, in all three wolf zones

What's everybody's strategy for hunting wolves? I have wanted to get into predator hunting for nearly a decade now and now seems like a perfect chance. I still haven't quite decided if I am going to apply, but if I do it will be for the late season. My biggest questions are what size rifle is required to take down a wolf without destroying its hide? Would you use this gun on a smaller animal (ie fox) if that came into your setup or would you carry 2 guns or just pass on smaller animals? If you do get a wolf, what are your plans for it (rug, mount, sell, etc)? Do you think calling will be effective even though you can't hunt them at night? What type of calls do you think will be most effective? I realize the chance of shooting a wolf is still pretty slim and this is new to everybody, but just curious what everybody's thoughts are.