• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor problem

Stan7600

Two friends ofr mine bought identical Lund boats with 150 Hondas. Both are experiencing what seems to be a fuel delivery problem. The motors will cut out and kill while at higher speeds. Not all the time of course. Neither did it until the weather got hot. The dealer, Rays' Marine in Grand Rapids has told them it's a Honda problem. One was told by the owner at the dealership; "don't you wish you had bought a different brand of motor?" The 2 of them bought 80,000. dollars worth of boats last April and the dealer doesn't seem to give a darn. Any ideas about this problem? At least people should hear about the customer service issue. I hope it's allowed to give the name. Stan C.

I have a 2004 225 Honda that occasionally sputters and stalls when it's hot out. So far, I've replaced the fuel lines exposed on the transom. It still sputtered the other day. Here's what another forum's advise is:

"While checking the fuel line from the tank to the engine, hopefully, you have an in-line fuel/water separator. (If not, install one - the Racor's with the clear sight bowl on the bottom are the best.) Drain the separator, and if the filter element has not been changed for awhile, change it out. Check that the pump-up bulb gets very firm after about 3 or 4 squeezes. If not, replace it, also.

If that all checks out, replace the high pressure fuel filter. And while your are into that section of the engine, I would remove and clean thoroughly the VST.

Remove the clamp bracket that holds the grommet to the lower engine cover.(This is the grommet that holds all the cables, fuel line and wiring that enter the engine cover) You are checking for corrosion. The corrosion swells and pinches off the fuel line.

At WOT, the 225 is burning about 20 gallons per hour - that's a bunch of fuel, and if is restricted in any manner, or gets air in the fuel line, you will get the stalling out you described."

I'll try to get to these items soon and will report back.