• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoothrock Lake

Im heading to smoothrock lake August 3rd-10th. We are going throughThunder-hook fly-in's. Anybody have any experience on this lake in early August? Been on a couple fly-in's in the last 10 years, but never been on this lake. Also, we usually have gone from the middle to end of June. Is live bait a definite advantage at this time of year? We usually have never needed anything more than a jig head and a 3 inch grub. Bringing my 11 year old on his first ever trip to Canada. Any general info would be great.

Fished Smoothrock in August a couple years ago. Fishing current areas coming into the lake produced only very small walleyes. Mid-lake current, islands, and narrows produced much bigger fish and plenty of them. Big pike in mid lake current as well. Also caught some nice walleyes on lake trout spoons 50 feet down in over 100' of water. Overall fishing was not as good as we expected and live leeches definitely helped...one day I fished a chartruese Gulp! grub and my buddy fished live leeches and I switched back to leeches when he was ahead 11 to 2. But, maybe I stink at fishing or were following a cold front or something. If you get to the southern end of the lake, there is the most amazing blueberry patch on the portage from Smoothrock to the Spring River. Loads of berries that August.

I've been up there a couple of time with PFO on the south end of the lake in early Aug. We've never been disappointed. We have always brought salted minnows with great success rather than trying to deal with the hassles of live bait. Gunflint is spot-on in regards to the blueberry patch on the portage to Spring Lake!

Here is a link to a thread with some info I posted earlier.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...rio#Post2785998