• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Purslane problems

Lund79

How do I get rid of this stuff? I am sick of pulling it out by hand. It is starting to take over the garden. After the growing season, can I spray round-up on the garden? Will there be any ill-effects next year to the crops I grow? I usually plant lettuce, peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, cantelope and watermellon. I also have rhubard and raspberries on 1 end of each garden. Thanks in advance!

This little Eurasian native has been causing quite a stir and with the advent of Round Up Ready crops is on the increase. We see it more and more in the fields all the time more as a novelty rather than an economic problem in corn and soybeans. You can spray Round Up on it in the fall but it will be of little value in controlling the weed as it is an annual reproducing from seed each season. By then the seed will be produced and you will just be revenge spraying. There are some chemical options but they are pretty specific to what vegetable is being produced. Since the seed remains in the soil for a number of years, it will take a while to thin it out.

Mulching is one cultural control option to consider. Purslane thrives on light but not so much in the shade. The other cultural option you are already involved in and it is a pain. I'm doing it here too. Removing the plants is essential to the control, especially the larger plants as once they flower, they are capable of producing viable seed even though they've been yanked out or hoed off. They can also re-root if left in the garden especially if the soil is moist.

Here are a couple U of M Extension bulletins, one for several weed species in lawn and landscape situations and one specific to purslane. Hope they help.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo/weedid/idlist.html

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h529purslane.html

Thanks for the replies. I thought of mulching as I put a bunch around the other flowers and raspberries and rhubarb. Might have to take some from there and spread it out as I have it pilled high.

Last year I did eat some as that is when I first looked into the nasty bugger.

Thanks for the links. I will have some reading to do. I forget about looking at the U of M extension.

Wish they'd come over and harvest some of mine! Tomato hornworms (sphinx moth larvae) will eat purslane and after pulling as much of it as I have in my career I'd feel gypped if I was paying big bucks for home grown veggies. grin