• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling to the right

alg

My boat pulls to the right. I went to move the tab on the motor to the right and noticed it had already been moved to the right. I tried to move it more, but after loosening, found it won't move any further to the right. Now what? It pulls fairly hard to the right. If I let go of the wheel, it'll make a sharp turn to the right. What would make it do this? The motor is a 75 hp E-TEC on a 16 Alaskan.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. The motor tab is on a circular plate under the cavitation plate. There is a bolt in the center of it that you loosen to adjust it. The tab itself is on the rear of the circular tab. Looking from the rear of the motor, from the top down (can't see the circular plate or tab), if I move the tab towards the right, the circular plate is actually turning counter clockwise (twisting to the left). If my boat pulls to the right, do I move the tab to the RIGHT, twisting the circular plate to the LEFT?

To the right.

The prop also acts like a paddle wheel. As it rotates in a clockwise direction, the tendency is to "paddle" the engine in that direction. By moving the tab to the right, you are countering the pull or paddle effect. By having the tab at the furthest possible aft position, the drag created will force the engine back towards center.

Unlike a rudder, you are not redirecting flow or thrust, but rather physically creating drag.

If you move that tab it's just going to make it harder to steer to one side more then the other. When you have it positioned right there will be even pressure on the steering to both sides.

If your boat is pulling to the right try to trim it up more (I agree with the other guys) or move things around in the boat. Maybe to much weight on the right side then the left.

Piling on here...

On my boat it's easy to feel the pull to the right, then no pull, then pull to the left as you trim out or in. I believe a 4-blade prop also reduces the torque steer relative to a 3-blade prop.