• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Livewell pump replacement pro v 1995

ducker

I have an attwood 500 livewell pump on my 1995 pro v 1775. I would like to replace the pump and the other gizmo that shifts from fill to empty to recirc. What is that other device? Novice I know.

Hi Ducker -

The other gizmo is either the valve, or the valve actuator, or the actuator cable, depending on which end of the gizmo you're talking about. With most set-ups, there's an actuator (the switch you flip back and forth from fill to empty to recirc) which uses a solid cable inside a plastic sleeve to flip a lever on a valve remotely. If the system isn't working right, either the valve is shot, or the cable isn't shifting the lever on the valve because the cable is jammed, kinked, or corroded. With a 1995 boat, either or both is possible.

If you can reach the valve, you can try flipping the lever manually to see if you just need a new actuator cable. If the valve is shot or full of crud, you may need to replace it. Since you will likely as not have to pull the valve out to attach a new cable either way, you may want to just replace the whole works as long as you have it torn apart.

I have a thread a little ways down on this board about a total rebuild of a livewell system. Take a look in there, and there's hopefully some good advice. Really look into getting Flow-Rite replacement parts. Very easy to put in with the Qwik-lock connectors, and the livewell designer on their site helps you figure out what you need for your set-up.

Good luck. It's really not too tough to do.

Cheers,

RK

Possibly... I was able to keep using the pump I already had in place. Re-using the cable may depend on how the current cable connects to the valve that's there now. It may be just a matter of hooking it up, but if the way they connect isn't compatible... If you have to replace the cable though, a new one is only $10-15, depending on how long you need it. The challenge, perhaps, is routing it.

You also need to make sure you get the right valve, as some will connect to the actuator cable from the stern side, and some from the livewell side.

Really - best thing to do is look at the configuration you have now, then go to the Livewell Builder on Flow-Rite's HSOforum to figure out what valve you need. They explain the options really well. I was pretty clueless on how my system worked until I spent some time there looking at the options.