• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bimini top for tiller?

Queenswake

I have a 16' Alumacraft Lunker and was wondering if anyone has tried to put some sort of canopy on a tiller boat before and how well it worked out. It would be more to get out of the sun than the rain. I know the problem with a traditional bimini is the supports getting in the way of fishing. Plus it would only cover part of the boat. I know they make the umbrellas that attach onto seats and there is that Anchor Shade, but there have been so-so reviews on that. I'm wondering if anyone has tried mounting a patio umbrella to a pedestal seat socket? Any other ideas?

One site to look at (and no I am not trying to sell for them) but to at least get an idea is shoremaster out of fergus falls. Type it boatcovers and add a dot come behind it. Supposedly they make bimini covers for anything. (I have been looking at boats and one of my restrictions is a bimini cover and they have had everything I have looked at so far...to bad I am not quick on the trigger)They were extremely reasonbly priced also. If they don't have your custom "design" they can build to your liking also and from what I have found they are resonable. My father has a custom fit cover from them and it has been awesome and weathers the elements. I am sure a custom cover can be made for you that fits your style.

You may want to give that idea a second thought. A Bimini top has support tubes and straps that will make tiller technigue fishing next to impossible. Try to find a boat that has one and give it a sit under the top, then think about what would get in the way of fishing.

I have one for my "Fish and Ski" boat and speak from experience.

I have a bimini for my tiller but I do not use it very often. I found that one of the staps gets in the way of fishing. If it is not windy I can undo the strap closest to me and can fish pretty good. If it is too breezy then I cannot undo that strap and it makes it tough. If it were a nice calm sunny day - not much of a problem. They would also work OK if you are bobber fishing and then sat down to get out of the sun.