• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broke Windshield

ZapMan

Well I broke my windshield tonight. Its a flat piece with a metal frame that comes apart. But is not a square, kind of a trapazoid. On a '87 Lund Tyee. Can a glass Co. cut one to fit that? Or do I have to order on from a dealer?

You should be able to take the frame to a glass shop and get a piece cut. Make sure it is safety glass. If you take the frame loose, take a piece of cardboard and make a pattern before taking it loose. Will help to get the glass cut to the right angles to fit the frame correctly.

CAn a guy get a curved piece of glass cut for an old windsheild?

The drivers side of my 1995 Starcraft shattered and I cannot find a replacement. I have the frame to use as a template but can't find anyone that can/will replace the glass.

It is possible to bend plexiglass using heat since it is thermoplastic. I think plexiglass is the same as acrylic.

You need to heat the part to be bent to about 300 degrees (275-350) to soften it.

I have not had much luck finding curved windshields for boats older than two years. I would recomend polycarbonate as sunlight will eventualy crack plexiglass and 3/16 or thinner poly u might be able to flex in with out heating which can distort or bubble plex and poly. The tricky part is getting the pattern right.

If it is curved broadly you could sculpt a form with wood and joint compound and make a plywood box as an oven, if you can't find anyone to do it for you. I thought about using the good one as a form but realized they are mirror images of each other.