• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Camping

MNCPRGUY

I'm looking for some suggestions for an ATV camping trip this summer. I'd like to tent somewhere with direct access to ATV trails, and preferably some secluded fishing holes.

I'd love to hear of any destinations that you have traveled to or have heard of. Minnesota/Wisconsin destinations are preferred for the long weekends, but I'm open to traveling further for a week long vacation.

Thanks in Advance!

You would like the Paul Bunyan State Forest. It is full of remote camping sites on small lakes and has hundreds of miles of trails. There is a campground at the Stompin Grounds just east of Akeley MN on HWY 64 that has nice camping and a bar resturant also. Pm me and I can give you more info as I live close and ride and fish there alot.

My recomendation is Wisconsin.

Jackson/Clark counties.

3 of the campgrounds we have stayed at and all 3 have direct access to great wheeling and all 3 are on a lake.

Check out Russell Memorial and East Arbutus campgrounds, both on Lake Arbutus.

These 2 border the 2 counties and are in the middle of the trail system.

Rock Dam campground is in northern part of Clark county, also on a lake and is towards the upper end of the trail system.

You would like the Paul Bunyan State Forest. It is full of remote camping sites on small lakes and has hundreds of miles of trails. There is a campground at the Stompin Grounds just east of Akeley MN on HWY 64 that has nice camping and a bar resturant also. Pm me and I can give you more info as I live close and ride and fish there alot.
This is a Great spot if you want to do some 4 wheeling but can get pretty busy. If you want to get off by yourself I would hit back off the North shore and some of the nice small lakes up there. You may need a Trout stamp for some of them! wink

I would check out Elm Creek ATV park/trail over by trimont. We have camped at one of the nearby lakes and ride or trailer over to the park... I wouldn't recommend it for a a big hoopladingy week long event, but it makes for a fun nearby weekend trip...

I spent last weekend tenting just outside of Finland, MN at the Wildhurst Lodge & Campground. The staff was friendly, the campsites were clean and offered lots of privacy, and the facilities were clean and accessible. The trail went right past our campsite and we rode the Moose Walk/Run and Red Dot Trails all the way to Silver Bay. These trails are not particularly challenging but due to the recent rains, offered plenty of opportunities to get dirty. We also tried a little fishing at Bean Lake which has a stocked trout/splake population. This area was by far the busiest location we encountered the entire weekend and is a nice spot for a picnic lunch.

We are planning to do the run again when the leaves begin to turn colors, but will be staying at the AmericInn in Silver Bay which also offers direct access to the trails (without the potential for sleeping in a cold, wet tent).

Next stop, Stompin' Grounds campground north of Akeley, MN where we will be riding the Paul Bunyan trails. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll do my best to report back and if anyone has additional questions, feel free to hit me up with a PM.

PJ