• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid-summer creeping charlie

LightningBG

I just picked up a piece of property that has really bad creeping charlie.

Any thoughts on how to control it at this time of year?

Yard is probably 80% shade, 20% sun, if that matters at all.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

My dad says Borax, but I figured I'd get other options if there are any out there.

wiki has a good discussion.

I will certainly check that out. And I didn't mean to be lazy and not look. Wasn't sure if there are specifics for various regions. I also did look at the info from the Univ of Mn Extension.

Our property had a bunch of it, but within the last two years, w ehave managed to curb it back. We use Ortho Weed b Gone that is meant ofr Chickweed, Clover, and Akalis. Applying in mid summer won't get you far. You may have to harvest some of it by hand and then apply the chemical in fall. I applied one dosage in early september, one on October, and one in November if the snolw can hold off. In spring, I put a couple dosages out before May.

With Creeping Charlie, it is a war of attrition, but patience will get you far.

So, after some inspection and consideration, I'm pretty sure if I kill the creeping charlie on this property, there will be very little left.

So....

What are peoples thoughts on...In the late summer, spraying the whole yard with roundup, killing everything, lifting up whats there, and also regrading, as there are lots of ruts and bumps and dips, putting down some black dirt, install a sprinkler system and reseeding?

Am I crazy?

Guess that depends on how much money you want to spend and how much work you want to do.Do you intend to keep the property for 5+ years or what? IMO folks are in way to much of a hurry to buy a load of dirt. What's wrong with the stuff you have? Tough to wear it out. Probably just compacted from equipment.

Gassing it and cleaning up all the dead stuff including the clumps of roots is a lot of work. I would do a good aeration and seeding in Sept. and gas Charlie with a product like Momentum FX2. Do some fertilizing in Sept and mid to late October and you will be surprised at how well things turn out.

As for ruts and holes - likely the dirt didn't go away. Till the area and smooth it back out and things will be fine.

I'm not a fan of sprinklers. To many people put too much water on their lawn. I seldom water the grass and I am often told I have one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood.

So, after some inspection and consideration, I'm pretty sure if I kill the creeping charlie on this property, there will be very little left.

So....

What are peoples thoughts on...In the late summer, spraying the whole yard with roundup, killing everything, lifting up whats there, and also regrading, as there are lots of ruts and bumps and dips, putting down some black dirt, install a sprinkler system and reseeding?

Am I crazy?

First of all, yes you are crazy.

In regards to the lawn it depends on how much time and money you want to invest. It sure sounds pretty far gone. I think I would blast it with roundup in September and have it tilled. Bring in some good black dirt if you need it. Seed it in late September and hope for good snow cover in the winter. I am not big on sprinkling either, Many people water their lawns so much that it doesn't develop a good root system. I don't worry if it goes dormant in the dry periods, it is a natural cycle.

I am not big on sprinkling either, Many people water their lawns so much that it doesn't develop a good root system. I don't worry if it goes dormant in the dry periods, it is a natural cycle.

My main reason for the irrigation would be to get through the seeding process. I've seeded yards before that didn't turn out so great due to lack of water. This property is only 1/4 acre, so I could probably handle regular sprinklers. (The other one was 3+ acres and very difficult to keep it all moist. Didn't have any luck with rain on that one either)

With the shade I would try to keep the grass that is there and kill the charlie this fall with a 3way herbicide like Trimec 992, Vessel or Lesco 3 way. I wouldn't spray it now with the heat we're having as you might find your flowers or garden dead the next day or two. If after you kill the charlie you need to reseed I would rent a slit seeder and seed with a shade mix for the best results. I would be very leery about installing irrigation around the trees especially if they are oaks have seen a lot of oak wilt after irrigation installs.

How much of the shade are you trying to keep?

Do you have any plans to thin out the trees so the grass gets more sun?

If not, look into expanding or installing planting areas more than grass.

You can have more than 50% shade, or you can have grass, but it's very difficult to have both.

Your grass will always have a weak root structure, you'll want to mow it more than 4" tall, and it'll always want to lay over, it's just the way grass is with more than 50% shade.