• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to power locator?

eelpout50

So I recently upgraded the locator on the console, original one from dealer was wired to the starting battery. My question is should I wire through the fuse box or stay with the direct connection to the battery? There is an inline fuse with the direct connection. What are the advantages of each?

Either is fine. I installed my new Humminbird to the fuse panel just because it seamed a little more professional. The one I replaced was one that I installed about four years ago with the direct connect option you described. As long as you have a fused connection, you are good either way.

I had my Humminbird wired to fuse panel and when I turned the key and started the boat the locator would freeze up and turn off due to a voltage drop. I rewired directly to the starting battery and now it works fine. Humminbird recommends wiring directly to the battery by the way, with an inline fuse for protection. Theoretically your display will be a little better this way also, as there is way less chance for interference.

No problem Wish I Were Fshn, now you'll know what to do if you run into the same problem I had. Not all locators run into that issue, I think my battery was starting to run down and that's when my problems started.

less interferance going direct to the battery but be carfull depending on the locator and if it is gps and has a external module some of them need a power switch wired in or the module stays on and drains the battery when the boat sits for several weeks

I bought a separate 12v battery for the depth finder and it's a direct connection to the depth finder from the battery with an inline fuse. I have a battery tender plus charger to recharge it. It's those smaller style 12v batteries, like for a golf cart or a 4 wheeler. I have 2, one for emergency backup. They are light and don't take up much room. I also read where guys will take 8 AA rechargeable batteries and run the depth finder off of that.