• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A full weekend... but need help

kywest

So May 4,5 and 6 my wife and daughter are going to be out of town. I can finally get out and do some fly fishing. My initial idea was to go to whitewater and take the tent and make an event of it. Looked into whitewater SP and they are all booked up. I am now trying to find some place else for my dad and I to camp and fish. I know there are tons and tons of places to go in that area but I guess where to stay is the issue. My dad is in Iowa so I am not totally opposed to getting an Iowa license and going down there but Id rather stay in Mn. If any of you guys have any ideas to help me out I'd love to hear them. Thanks guys.

Brian

kywest,

I know a guy that owns a private camp site right behind the gas station in Elba, not to far from whitewater, his name is Gary. The area is next to the stream with great holes. He charges adults $10 a night and kids are free, the only bad part is no flushable restrooms, only portables and no showers. Here is the map, hopefully it helps.

full-5926-19489-map.png

If you're not dead set on Whitewater, Maple Springs Campground down on Forestville Creek is a great little campground. Well maintained and you can hike to the headwaters which is absolutely marvelous. It also doesn't hurt that you're right next to the Root, and all of the streams in Preston.

There is also a campground right on the outskirts of Elba right along the river. Call the gas station in town and ask about it.

Thanks for the input guys. I am not dead set on whitewater it was just the first place I thought of when thinking about camping and fishing. I am still waiting on my dad to find out if he is coming up to MN or if I am going to have to go to IA. Keep the ideas coming though so I have more ammo to sway him smile

Mike, I did look into beaver creek but they are also booked. But finding all these places booked makes me wonder, can you camp in a WMA? I know in Iowa you can camp in all of their WMAs unless that particular one is posted otherwise. Anybody know anything about that?

Short answer No for camping in WMA's. State forests you can.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_forests/sft00033/index.html

I would also look into Forestville State Park, just looked and they still have a number of sites. Also state parks have a number of non reservable sites if you can get there early on Friday you might be able to find something.

I don't believe you can camp in WMA's. You can do dispersed camping in state forests though.

If you're willing to chance it, all of the State Parks will have first come-first serve sites as well.

Edit - Flyfisher hit submit 1 minute before I did.

Thank stinks. I was hoping you could. I am thinking I will just take a chance and start at white water and see about one of the first come first serve spots. If they are all full, then off to Forestville. If they are gone as well... then I'll just find another privately owned spot or something.

Well after much deliberation and chatting with my dad and brother in law, we decided to camp in a WMA in NE Iowa. We figured not having to pay for camping would more than cover the few more miles I would have to drive as well as the out of 3 day out of state license. I appreciate all of your guys input. Its greatly appreciated

Brian