• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bringing Bait into Canada

A group of buddies and myself are going into Ontario the first week of June for a fishing trip. I know we can bring in crawlers in bedding. Wondering if we can bring in our own frozen and salted minnows? Also if there are any restrictions of what kinds we can bring in and how they would need to be packaged. I know no live ones or leeches. Also planning on bringing some Gulp minnows. Thanks in advance

Bearslayer glad I could help you out since youv'e helped me out with my appliances in the past. We bring salted and frozen and either one is allowed. I like salted best since they don't turn to mush like the frozen ones. We usually freeze the salted ones in baggies so there not all together. Also the salted ones aren't really bothered by the heat or the sun. Good Luck DrJ....

Thanks, that is what I thought. Resort was giving us some b.s. about it being ok, but only with minnows native to the lake. Would have to talk to DNR to find out what kind, they didn't know. And if we buy minnows before we get there, they should only be native. But, they have minnows for sale at resort for $6 a dozen. But can't tell us what kind to bring! I understand they are trying to make money, but just give me a straight answer and not this line of b.s. Anyways, maybe I am missing something, but since when would frozen dead minnows reproduce and become present in a lake!

If you have any connections with the local funeral homes, we use a cap of embalming fluid in about 2 gallons of minnows / water. Once they go bely up, sort them into a few dozen per ziplock bag. Best combo I have found yet. They NEVER get mushy. You can re-freeze and re-use the unused minnows over & over.