• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Xbow Q's

Boar

Just piked up my new baby, ooooooweeeeeee that big baddy bear aint gonna know what hit him... Anywho.. In finding out that it takes alot of movement an strength to cock the string an insert a bolt ect. I cant see doing this as I prepare for a shot, bear or deer(permit allowed). But I cant see my self sitting there either with a loaded an ready to fire Xbow either. Whats the norm on this Climb into stand get situaited an settled then load the bow?

Plus once it's loaded it has to discharged eventually, so im thinking on keeping a target at the truck to discharge the bow into, right? I thinks its pretty obvious that one has to sit in stand with Xbow loaded. Just seems dangerous. Any points?

There was a guy on here that was disabled and invited me out to try his cross bow before I bought one.We even went hunting together and do every year now.I didnt buy one because of the cost and I cant use it except for targets.He cocked his before going up into the stand,No bolt loaded,roped it up by the step on cock support then put the bolt in,Warned me not to do it if there was lots of brush below.But said he cleaned brush out before the season.He has a rope he carries to un stirng it,it goes over a shoulder around the string,pull the trigger and the rope over the shoulder lets him ease the string down as he bends forward.Man that thing is fun to shoot!! He didnt spare any costs with it.

I cock mine when I leave the truck. If it is not hunting time it does not have a bolt in. When I get to the tree I just rope it up without a bolt and put the bolt in when I am situated. They do have a safe and I have never had it go off accidently. It will hurt the bow to dry fire though. I keep an old target bolt up in the stand with me and fire that into the ground when I am done hunting. Gotta be careful with that though when the ground is frozen - I had an aluminum arrow break upart on me. I have a rope thing that I bought to assist in cocking it, which is a good idea. Your bolt fly more consistant if it's cocked the same way (equally from both sides of the rail).

I have never worried about having a "loaded" crossbow in the stand with me as it does have a safe. When I am rifle or shotgun hunting for deer or birds I always have a loaded gun also.

Thanks guys, thats what i thought, I like the idea of self assisting the uncocking of the bow. Thought id try an silence the bow, is this recomended? its rather loud an at these speeds im not to affraid of string jumping, bear dont have a habit of doing that anyway, but want deer hunt with it too. Is it worth it or just to loud it wont make a difference?

Boar the deer will also not have time to jump as long as it's a calm relaxed deer if they look jumpy aim low on the vitals. As far as leaving it cocked for vehicle transport a case is not required and can be cocked as long as their is no bolt on the string.