• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to shoot my Slugster

I am 29 years old and I just shot my first gun at firearm safety yesterday. I got into hunting because I have a 12 year old nephew that does not have a father but the kid is drawn to hunting for some reason. I was not really into it until I took firearm safety with him and now we are both into it. I just recently purchased a Mossberg 500 Slugster 12 gauge and my nephew is getting a 20 gauge. I am learning very quickly that there is nowhere for us to shoot are rifled shotguns near the metro area and I was wondering if anyone had some ideas. We can’t really afford a membership to a gun club and I don’t personally know anyone with private land. If anyone has any ideas or if anyone has private land that would be willing to educate us and let us practice please let me know. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like. We live in Shakopee.

Down in Leseuer, actually south of Leseuer is the Caribou Hunt Club, it is a gun range, bird hunting and trap place. They have a range and will allow almost anything that is legally purchasable to be shot there....Look them up and give them a call, I learned that hard way one time after driving down and finding out they were having hunts in the fields behind the range and it was closed.

I strongly suggest that you buy a caldwell lead sled and get some sand bags. A 20ga doesn't kick to bad to an adult but it will thump a 12 year old. If you haven't done so yet, but a youth sized .22 and take that along, all 12 year olds, even the ones that are really 42 like myself, love plinking with the ol' 22. If you want to make it special, get a henry lever action youth model, he will beam with pride when you pull that out....

You can hit me up with a PM sometime if you want... We are not to far from the Carribou club, and have access to plenty of farm ground, and actually have up to a 300 yd range at a friends place (he actually is one of the firearms safety instructors here) and we have a variety of guns around between us he could give a whirl if he wanted... WE like to make games out of seeing how different things blow up when shot with different things... You can make a whale of a salad with a 20ga :-) Anytime you can get a kid introduced to safe gun handling is a great thing... and getting out and enjoying the outdoors and hunting is even better!