• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help!

OLY

I was trying to hook up my battery and as soon as the connection touched it sparked, and as soon as I hooked up the other connection there was a loud pop and the engine started smoking. Now there is a loud click and the starter does not engage when I try to start it. Any suggestions?

The accesories are all on a different set of wires. I was hooking up the cabels that go straight to the battery from the engine. There is nothing else connected to them.

Did you hook them up backwards by chance?

A couple different things can happen. There is a 20 amp fuse on the engine that can blow, however, if you are hearing the click when you turn the key, then that fuse is probably ok. The contacts inside the solenoid may have arced and are not making a good conection. The battery connections may have arced as well, both at the battery and solenoid and engine ground.. Also, the rectifier sometimes is cooked (not your "clicking, no crank" problem though.

What you will need to do is make sure battery is connected correctly, connections are good clean and tight, then use a 12 volt test light and find out where the problem is.

Sounds like the starter or starter selinoid is bad causing the short and sparks. Gently tap each w/ the handle of a screw driver to see if you get it to turn. if it then turns it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't turn it may still meed to be replaced but eliminate the above suggestions first!