• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lower unit oil what kind

mrpike1973

hi just want to know what lower unit oil to use for 1984 9.8 mercury couldn't really find anything on the net. and do those tubes that you just squeeze into the bottom do they work ok. thanks just want to buy some ahead of time in case i need it

Yes the squeeze tubes will work just fine. From the bottom until it comes out the top.

Pretty much any marine gear lube will work.

OMC Hi-vis

Quicksilver Premium Blend

Yamalube

Lubrimatic hi-vis

Penzoil, Citgo etc, as long as they are marine

I read somewhere on here last year that you might want to fill up the lower unit, tighten the screws snugly, drop your motor to vertical, wait 15-30 minutes, then top it off. their logic was if you put enough air in there you wouldn't get enough lube in the unit and this lets the air bubble to the top. Personally, I think units hold more than enough lube to offset this but, you can't be too careful. I use the squeeze tubes also but I found this thing that is threaded on each end and has a clamp in the middle. You thread it onto the lube tube, fill the thing up, clamp it shut, thread it onto your lower unit hole (it fits my Mercury and Evinrude), unclamp it, and squeeze the lube tube from the bottom. To change tubes, just clamp shut, remove the old tube, put the new one on, unclamp, and go.

The proper way is have the motor vertical, fill slowly from the bottom (drain screw) until it comes out the top (vent screw). Put the vent screw in, have the drain screw ready, remove the tube/filler and quickly reinstall the bottom screw.

I would also agree that there is some forgiveness built into these things knowing that some lube is going to dribble out during the filling process. Once the bottom screw is in, you can remove the vent screw and recheck the level for some added assurance.

I recommend getting the hand pump that screws onto quart bottles. One of the best $10 I've spent. Screw the threaded end of the tube into the lower unit, put the pump on a quart bottle and start pumping until full.

Little mess and no more stupid tubes. I never liked those tubes because I always felt like I was throwing away 10% of the oil.