• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Credit card freezes

Just wanted everyone to know. IF you are going into Canada and expect to use a credit card, CALL THE COMPANY FIRST. Just got back and have used my card in Vermilion Bay for five years. They could not run it this year as it was "out of my area" and the card would not accept the charges. Easy fix, according to the guy on the phone when I got to him, is to tell the people at your card company, that you are going in so they will not think your card has been stolen!! I had one card refused and my buddy had three! The people at the store said it happens a lot now. Calling ahead is a lot easier than standing in the store asking to use their phone to talk to the credit card people. Just an FYI for would be travellers.

I always bring along 2 cards now as well.

Every year I would use my card in the morning in the Falls and then cross the border and try to use it at the bait store shortly after and it would be denied. I dont think they like a transaction in the U.S. and a transaction in Ontario a few hours later. Its all good - at least we know they are keeping safe dibs on the credit cards. I just usually bring 2 cards now and also call ahead.

This has been going on for several years, I spend at least 50% of my life on the Canadian side and do the majority of my shopping there, I got tired of declined cards. My debit card always worked but the international fee was too high. The credit card bank had already established spending habits so I called and threatened to send them their card back as it was useless to me, all is ok now, for now. If you call ahead and notify them it should help.

It's all good alright, good for them, don't buy into the "we are protecting you and your account" line. You are already protected, you're not liable for any fraudulent charges, they are protecting themselves as they are on the hook for the unauthorized charges.

I had run into the same problem with my debit card but so far not with a credit card. Sounds like that is about to change. What I have been doing is going to a bank in Fort Frances and using their ATM machine. The PIN for my debit card works just fine and the currency exchange is already figured in. Then I use the cash for bait and groceries. I had been tempted to open an account at the bank for paying taxes and having some extra money for trips up. The bank that I use the most is TD bank and there is a CIBC just down the street. Both have 24 hour ATM's in case you are getting in late just need to swipe your card to open the door.

The same thing happened to me. I've been going to Canada between 2 and 6 times per year for the last 12 years. I never once had a problem. This past January I tried to pay for my trip with my Visa, and it wouldn't go through. I didn't have my check book, or enough cash with. It was a little embarassing. I called them and they had put a hold on the card. I told them that any charges in Ontario they should be ok with from here on out as I go there often, and always use my card to avoid having to exchange cash at the border. They told me they couldn't do that, and I would have to call before every trip from now on. I'll do my best, but it's only a matter of time before I forget...