• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor?

mnguy152

I would like to get a trolling motor for the bow of my boat. My questions to you people is how big should I go? I have a 97 lund rebel ss with a 60 on it. The one I have on it now is the orginal from 97 and no marking on it except I know it is a minnkota.

I think that a 50 would push your SS around just fine. I used that on my old Fisher for years and it worked great. That same powerdrive motor is on my 16' Navigator and is underpowered.

Then again, you could always subscribe to the bigger-is-better mantra. I'm sure that someone will say that below. It might depend more on where you use the trolling motors. Are you using it along shore to bass fish on small lakes or are you trolling patterns in big open lakes? You'll get a lot more wind and waves in the latter scenario necessitating a bigger motor. You won't need that in the small lake/bay scenario.

If you have 2 deep cycle batteries in your boat, or are going to use 2 batteries, then I would go with a 24 volt motor which would be an 80 lb Terrova or a 70 lb PowerDrive V2. If you're using only 1 battery then you're looking at a 12 volt motor and it would be 55 lbs for either the Terrova or the PD V2.

You mentioned "open water", and bigger is better when you're dealing with wind and waves. Being under-powered is no fun if you can't fish the way you want in the spots you want ....... or if you run out of juice halfway through your day .......

You can check out both models and all the pricing / options / rebates at Trolling Motors At Pro Fishing Supply . Hope that helps!