• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

500 Sportsman using oil

eyehunter

I have a 2008 Sportsman that is using oil. I had the same problem last year about this same time, took it to a dealer and they replaced the crank seal. I have the extended warranty on it and that was covered under the warranty last year. Last weekend I checked the oil and it didn't even register on the stick. It doesn't leak any oil on my garage floor. Guess I'll be hauling it back in to have them tear it apart and see what's going on. Just wondering if any of you had any opinions as to what the problem might be before I do.

Thanks in advance.

If the seal was gone, you would think there would be some drippings on the floor.

Did you look around the weep hole around the water pump?

The seal is behind the water pump and I would think you might have some oil by there.

That seems strange, but very possible.

Did you check your anti-freeze?

Is there oil residue in there?

I would check all over the machine and see if there is any splatter of oil somewhere else on the machine, just seems like you might be pumping it out while running.

Hope you get it resolved.

Might also want to take the outer clutch cover off and see if the PTO side crank seal is leaking into the clutch box. Typically if that happens you will end up with the belt slipping if that seal goes but if it's leaking slowly through there the oil might just be laying in the bottom of the clutch cover. Also take a look in your air box, sometimes they will blow the oil back through the breather and into the air box especially if you have done alot of wide open running or high rpm running in low range.

Thanks for the response guys. I have not seen any oil on the outside of the machine at all, but I wll take a little closer look tonight. When this happened last year it happend to be the same time that I was changing out the belt, at that time there was no oil in or around the clutch, in fact I had a lot of dust and dirt in there that I had to blow out and clean before putting the cover back on. I have not checked for residue in the anti-freeze, but will check that out tonight as well. There is a small amount of blow by in the air cleaner, but not enough, IMO, to constitute a whole quart of oil.

Again thanks for the suggestions, I'll look it over more closely tonight. I'm hauling it to the dealer in the morning for them to take a look at.

Well, just heard from the dealership, it's a scored piston. Parts are on order and will be sent to machine shop for boring next week. I guess you get what you get when you buy a used machine, I'm just glad that there was a transferable warranty on it. Cost for repairs will only cost me a $25 deductable and the price of a new filter and oil. Whew!

Cost for repairs will only cost me a $25 deductable and the price of a new filter and oil. Whew!

Nice, I bought mine new and am looking for a new cooling fan for $270.00. Bummed, unless I steal it off the wife's wheeler.....think that will cost me more in the long run.