• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what size Yamaha?

bullhead master

I am buying a 2012 Alumacraft Competitor 175 sport. It comes with a 115 Yamaha but for $2500 I can upgrade to the Yamaha 150. We do about 50/50 fishing and water sports. will the 115 be enough with a full boat of people for tubing and skiing or if I go with the 150 will it troll down and will the the motor shaft be too long because we are in a lot of shallow water at times? Also what would be the difference in fuel economy?

I have a similar size boat and run a 115 opti, boat is rated at 135 or 150 and often times when I wished the original owner would have maxed out the HP. That being said the 115 opti does fine on my ride will push out of the hole decent and run low 40's. I have been throwing around the idea of a new prop to explore better performance.

There's an old saying about always maxing out the HP on a new boat, you'll be glad you did and it will also help tremendously with resale when you decide to upgrade.

I have a 175 Tourney Sport with a 115 4s and I'd say it would be passable since the competitor is 5 inches shorter and probably slightly lighter.

The Tourney runs mid 30's. I would expect you would be above that.

It only trolls down to 2.8, 2.7 into a good breeze.

As stated, if the price is in your budget, get the 150. You will never regret it.

Go with the 150, I have that on my Tourney sport 185 & I could not be happier with the motor. My Dad has a Suzuki 115 on a 2002 Trophy 175. It is a very reliable motor, but seems to have lost some of it's horse power in the last 10 years.