• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 90 HP 4 stroke tiller advice?

10,000 Casts

Just brought my new to me 1996 Lund Pro V 1890 tiller home yesterday, it's a little bit of a project boat for me. It has a 96 90 hp Merc 2 stroke on it right now. It was my buddies uncle's boat and he owned it since new so I know the motor is good and it is traditionally a bullet proof motor but I still want to sell it and get a 4 stroke. 90 hp is the max hp, are there any carry overs out there or good used motors? What do you guys think I should go with? Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Etec 2 stroke, etc? What do you guys think my current motor is worth with a 4 blade stainless prop? Should I trade it or sell it? Is there a market for it?

Thanks in advance!

First fix your trailer lights first... Used motors are very limited, new and carryovers are out there, but finding larger hp tillers is harder than you think. Your motor has very little value trade in or private party seller. I would rate Honda #1, yamaha, suzuki closed second, mercs and etecs I just dont trust. But I keep boats a long time and run them a lot, my current motor I got in 99 (90 Honda) and have run hard every summer since. Honestly unless you got 7 or 8 grand laying around I would keep that motor, and put the money to more important things like newer electronics and such. Additionally adding a new motor to a old boat doesnt help resale that much either. Oh yah swapping to a different brand of motor may require different gauges and plug ends... I converted my boat from steering wheel to tiller and just making my honda into a tiller and all the gauges work was a pain. Whatever you do good luck.

Quote:
First fix your trailer lights first...

lol, I think I blew my fuse for the running lights, I picked up the boat in Southern MN last night and I had to drive 4 hrs with my flashers on due to the rquest of a state trooper. Did you see my facebook post or did you see me driving home last night?

Quote:
unless you got 7 or 8 grand laying around

that's about what I was figuring, I was hoping the current motor may fetch $2500 is I sell it? Then boot the $5-$6k

Quote:
I would keep that motor, and put the money to more important things like newer electronics and such.

should be covered on that end, working a deal on a couple 7" lowrances and if that doesn't work, it cam with a 332 and I have a 334 and I can buy a 520 for $200, I would be happy with that and the Terrova will run $1300. Keeping the motor is a possibility too.

Quote:
Additionally adding a new motor to a old boat doesnt help resale that much either

I know but this a boat I want to keep for a while, I love the fishing platform and imo, the new boats aren't any better, I just want a 4 stroke.

We saw u heading north on our way home, just north of little falls. Reselling your motor could take a while, If you get any offer around 1500-2K I would take it. I would wait till open water and see how you like the merc, the biggest advantage a fourstroke has is lower fuel use. Never ran one of those merc 90s but I think they were ok overall. The main thing I like about my honda over any two stroke I ever had is at trolling speed it is smooth and will do it all day with no problems and it uses less gas overall. If u r set on a new motor I would go Honda or Suzuki first, yamaha, then merc, then whatever is left.

Here is my two cents. If i was in your shoes I would put a nice 4 stroke kicker on the back like a 9.9 pro kicker. Then you will be able to troll to less that 1 mph and troll fast enough to pull big baits. The vantage it a great option too but I am not a fan of always having to keep the batterys charged.

If you are set on getting a new 90hp tiller I would look at the 90hp yamaha, its smooth, has lots of power, quit and very reliable. One thing that is pretty cool with the yamaha is that if you get one with the rpm adjust control you can switch between neutral and reverse without having to reset it everytime unlike mercs. Example say you put the motor in reverse and your backtrolling and you click the button 4 times and then you put the motor in neutral for a bit and put it back in reverse the yamaha will remember your last setting as the merc you will need to reset it again. Just a bit of info.............. I vote for yamaha

I have a 65 lbs 24 volt Vector for backtrolling. It is way easier than using the main motor or a kicker in my expierance while backtrolling. I Wish I could have afforded to get a vantage, but the vector works good enough for me. If u want to test it you could always intercept me on pelican or ossie right after ice out and see what you think. Vector is same as vantage just no power up and down.

I have a 90HP Yamaha on the back of my tiller. Zero complaints after five seasons and the multifunction tiller handle is the ticket for speed control when trolling cranks. A 24V Minn-Kota is used for live baiting duties.

We saw u heading north on our way home, just north of little falls. Reselling your motor could take a while, If you get any offer around 1500-2K I would take it. I would wait till open water and see how you like the merc, the biggest advantage a fourstroke has is lower fuel use. Never ran one of those merc 90s but I think they were ok overall. The main thing I like about my honda over any two stroke I ever had is at trolling speed it is smooth and will do it all day with no problems and it uses less gas overall. If u r set on a new motor I would go Honda or Suzuki first, yamaha, then merc, then whatever is left.

I just traded in a 98 115 merc. If you get 2k for that 90 you are doing good in my opinion. If you have the bucks you will love the four stroke, since it will be much quieter and smoother. Hard to justify on economic grounds.