• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.223 reloading ?

I am trying to work up a load for my buddys AR 223. it is a kel tec su16 with a 16" barrel and a 1:9 twist... thus far the rifle is winning the battle. I am loading with a 55gr bullet at the moment... not sure if I should try something heavier, or if this gun is just bound to shoot a larger group... Should I be looking for quicker burning powders for the short barrel, heavier bullets, Just looking for ideas before I dump more money into powder and what not... I have tried varget and win 748, and I have IMR 3031 on hand to try yet... the big box store guy told me to try superformance (which I still have some from my .243) however, there seems to be zero info on that combo. so I do not think thats a good plan... Thoughts???

He has had the gun for a few years, but until i grabbed it from him he hadn't even had it sighted in... So, About the only thing we have shot through it is some factory american eagle or black eagle, whatever it is called to get it hitting on paper i was getting about a 3 inch group... but they kept getting wild as i shot... I have cleaned it a couple times while sighting and working up loads now... i have been going out of the manual for COL for now... I believe it is calling for 2.200 ish for the rounds I am loading. I don't know if I should be loading a 60gr or heavier bullet possibly for the quicker twist rate... Trigger pull is heavier, i believe around 6lbs is what I read on the specs... I am shooting out of a sled though, so I is fairly easy to duplicate the same shot over and over... just not sure what approach to take with the short barrel and quick twist rate.

I'd try the 3031 and move down to a 52 grain match bullet, or a 50 grain boattail...keep the loads in the middle of the spectrom...try and load them at about 2400-2800 fps for best accuracy...if the 3031 doesn't do the trick you could try H335...the quicker twist relates more to bullet weight...I've found that a 1 in 9 twist shoots lighter bullets more accuratly than heavier bullets...as for the barrel length that relates more to muzzle velocity, and since you are looking for accuracy vs long range trajectory, stick with a lighter bullet and more moderate load...And to address the wondering once you fired a few shots...that is completley normal...especially with a lighter, shorter barrel...there is less surface so the barrel cools slower...when you work up the loads try taking one shot every 5 minutes to see where you are...if accuracy is good doing that then it is more than likely just the barrel of the rifle getting too warm and distorting you group...if not...try a different load

Good luck!