• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 F-8 Ext overheating

openorice

Last weekend I finally was able to put some miles on my new sled up in the Arrowhead region but the temp light kept coming on. The outside temperature was around 0oF and the trails were pretty good, 4 - 5" of base and I was kicking up a fair amount of snow. I could get the light to stop blinking by riding off the trail into deeper snow for 50 yards or so. Does this sound normal, and do you think I'm going to have run scratchers on this sled when trail riding?

EXT i believe you are running a longer track? Lug lenght? 4-5" of powder you should never overheat. Hardpack you may be on the edge if you have a longer lug track. I run a 1.75 track with 1.8 studs and on hardpack snow I am on the edge of overheating. Scratchers are needed with long lug tracks in most hardpack conditions.

This is only my opinion from experience.

If you are overheating in 4-5" of powder I would see if you have some sort of blockage or air bubble in the coolant lines.

If you could get the light to go off by going off trail, you will either need studs, or scratchers, as it's obvious that once you got snow up into the heat exchanger, the engine got cooler. Yes, it sounds normal to me. If the trails are really packed down, not much snow will be thrown under the tunnel without studs or scratchers. Good luck.