• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of Camera do you use?

MootScoot

Hi all! I've been using this HSOforum for a couple of years, fly on the wall, just checking out fishing reports. Last week I came across this bird watching section and was pleasantly suprised to see a forum dedicated to one of my new found passions. About two years ago I set up a feeder for what I assumed would be a way to see the usual Cardinals/Blue Jays/Robins up close, the few birds that I knew about. A week goes by and a rose breasted grosbeak happened upon my feeder. After going through the task (joy) of figuring out what kind of bird that was, I was hooked. I ran out and got a bird book, more seed, feeders, etc. Fast forward two years and I stumble across this forum and all of the beautiful pictures submitted. I now have the desire to capture the birds on film in conjunction with logging them in the bird book. Here in lies the question; What kind of camera do you reccommend for a novice photographer and bird watcher? As with most, price is usually a driving factor. I look forward to your input with hopes of posting some of my own photos in the near future.

Take care!

I can't afford the real nice stuff so I use a Canon Powereshot SX30IS. It has a 35 zoom on it that I love for birds. Won't work if you are looking for the proffesional chrystal clear look but with tips from guys on here it does a good job.

As with most hobbies the big question is "How much do you want to spend ?"

Just starting out there will be a learning curve with the camera and software to clean up and crop the images. I started out with a Canon 30D along with a Canon 100-400mm. I do miss in the I.S. that the 100-400 had but I now shoot a straight Canon 400mm with no I.S.. I upgraded my body when the Canon MarkIV came out and the price dropped on the MarkIIs. My reason was I now can autofocus with my 1.4 teleconverter which makes my setup a 560mm lens. You can find decent used bodies for sale but good glass holds it value. I would have no problem buying a used Canon 30D as long as it had under 15000 shot. Price would be anywhere from $300 to $450. A used Canon 400mm would run right around a $1000. Sooner or later you will want a tripod, flash and a few extra CF cards so it can up and become a spendy little hobby. Never had a bad day of photography yet winkgrin

I have a 5d, but I shoot professionally - I love it, but it's way too much of a camera for a beginner SLR honestly. I think the rebel series make great entry level SLRs and you can get your hands on one for just a few hundred bucks. I'd get something in that range, put your money toward some quality lenses (which is what will make the biggest difference in image quality) and upgrade the body later down the road...

I have 2 30D's. I started with a 30D a few years ago and then added a 50D. After a year with the 50D, I couldn't see any improvement over what I was getting with the 30D. A good used 30D can now be had for less than $300. I sold the 50D and bought a second 30D for $250 and I am quite happy. I just made a couple test shots a couple days ago at ISO 3200 and with a little help with a noise reduction program, there was no noticeable noise. I'm not saying there aren't a couple minor advantages of the 50D vs the 30D, but not enough for me to make it worth the extra money. The extra megapixels mean nothing to me. An 8 mp camera will allow a print of up to 20 X 30 with no problem, as long as there isn't much cropping. Save on the body and splurge on the lenses. That is really where the difference in quality will show up. Also, learning the ins and outs of the camera and how everything relates to light and exposure is vital. Just note, the P on the dial does not stand for "professional". smile

I just spent a few days up north with a friend from WI. He was shooting a 40D with a 150 - 500 Sigma and I was shooting my 30D with the 100 - 400 Canon lens. His pics all came out a bit on the contrasty side and a bit softer. Our second day was gloomy with marginal light. My auto focus was noticeable slower that day but was still faster than his and he missed a few shots that I was able to get. Just saying.