• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What constitutes a big flock at the feeder?

traveler

And... a couple other question.

Recap, It's our first year back to feeding after too many years with outdoor cats. We're feeding just black oil sunflower seed; we have a couple sheets of plywood (4x6 or so) on picnic tables for "ground" feeders, and 4 other hanging feeders, all within 30 feet of each other, on and around our big deck.

This a.m. I knew it was going to be cold so I figured on a lot of bird activity, so I put out a couple folgers cans full of seed on top of what was already out there, and it's gone. in 2.5 hours.

I'd estimate there are 100 redpolls, and 20-25 pine grosbeaks out there, and a few chickadees and nuthatches. It's actually noisy thru the windows:)

We fed years ago, and I don't remember having this many birds...but I also don't remember if we went this crazy with the seed. I'm just wondering how many birds some of you have around. Also, is there any harm in having this many (short of the obvious mess come spring)? Any tips for dealing with/avoiding said mess?

Is it likely these little birds are all redpolls, or might there be others mixed in? I've looked prettty close occasionally, and they all look like redpolls to me.

Also, we have NO squirrels...is that odd? We don't have oaks and seldom see greys, but i guess I'm a little surprised to not see reds. The woods around the house are youngish popple mostly, few pines, so maybe thats it. I'm happy about it anyway.

(Brrr...chilly out today!)

Yeah, redpolls are numerous this winter. I have about 50 of them coming, and I'm in town. I have a pretty crazy feeder setup as well--if I were out of town, I'd probably have a couple hundred birds around.

Your redpoll flock is probably almost all commons, but you might find a hoary in a flock that size. Often, I see goldfinches and pine siskins in redpoll flocks. Most winters I wouldn't rule out purple finches hanging at the feeders with them, but this winter they don't seem to be around.

As far as the mess goes, yes, it can be dangerous to the birds. When you get a huge congregation of birds that are ground feeding or platform feeding, they can pass diseases and when spring arrives, you can get mold in the piles of hulls. Salmonella is the worst culprit. We've had salmonella a couple of times and it sucks because it can stay active on the ground surface for a little while after you remove the feeders. The best way to prevent it is to clean your feeders and to rake up the mess under your feeders, particularly once it warms up. If you see any sick birds (hunched back, drooping wings, lethargic, mucousy nostrils...), remove your feeders right away so they disperse.

I have fewer sanitation problems now because I primarily use seeds without hulls and I gave up on wood feeders. There are some excellent American-made feeders out there with metal mesh and recycled plastic components that are easy to clean and keep feed dry. Some of them are dishwasher safe if you want to go that route.

My advice to you if you are concerned about the mess would be to upgrade to large screened platform feeders and go with seeds that have no hulls like sunflower chips and hearts, nutrasaff, peanut chips, etc. Those seeds come with a big sticker shock, but they last a lot longer, attract more birds, and you don't have the mess to deal with.