• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Point and shoot camera for boat

Time to get a new camera for the boat. I currently use a Olympus waterproof camera and am not real happy with the picture quality. My question to you camera guys is this.

Since the camera will spend most of it's life in the boat, and I do fish in the rain, do I NEED a waterproof camera?

I do fish some tournaments that are of the Catch, picture, record, release format so it will get used in any kind of weather, but I do not have any plans to submerse the camera. I also own a Cannon that takes great pics but is not waterproof so I'm afraid to use it in the rain. Will this camera be OK?

John there is a thread started down in the Computers forum about GoPro cameras. They can be a movie camera or a point and shoot camera and they come with a waterproof housing. They are good for 90' of water. Take a look and see if that would fit the bill. I plan to have mine in the boat with hopes of capturing a King Salmon jumping out of the water while at the end of my line whistlelaugh

In your case you could switch over to single shots for the tourneys that just need one shot.

The top manufacturers of point and shoot waterproof cameras are Pentax, Sony, Olympus, and Canon. I would rank Pentax and Oly as the top two. I've owned both and found them both live up to expectations.

Only you can decide whether you need a waterproof camera. I carry a DSLR in a boat on full fishing days in all weather with out problems but I use care and have equipment to keep things from getting wet. Using a camera that is not designed for a marine environment without precautions will likely lead to short life. Again I don't know how you care for yours so it is a bit hard to give you advice.

Based on the likely fact you just throw the camera in the boat and forget about it (as many people do) I would strongly advise you to sticking with a waterproof camera. You can buy waterproof hard cases for relatively cheap and I would keep the camera in that waterproof or not. Using some care you can use a camera not designed for heavy outdoor use but you do have to be careful.

What is making you unhappy with your current Oly? What type of quality are you looking for? Are you viewing your photos on a computer screen, or printing for publication? What is your photo taking technique? Often you have to make compromises on your expectations when you use camera gear in a harsh environment. Ask your self those questions and you might find the answers you are looking for.

If you want post a couple of photos, give us an idea of what you are disappointed with.

What I don't like about the Olympus is that the screen is very hard to see when it is very bright out. My daughters Cannon has alot better screen, but it's also three years newer. One more think I like about the Cannon is that the depth of field (Is that the right term?) is better. When holding out a fish, it is able to keep the fish and the person in focus allowing for some pretty cool pics.

The major issue is that my wife has a hard time taking pics because of the screen.

About the only problem I see with the Go Pro is the lack of flash. I have a play sport and I suppose I could always use that. I just hate the thought of not having a good camera for that important shot.

No, I don't throw it in and leave it, my Oly is also the house camera. I don't take care of it like a pro would but it dosen't get abused.

My thoughts on still frames from cameras such as the GoPro and Playsport are...video cameras are for video and still cameras are for still photos. JMHO smile I own them and I really think their strength is to use them for what they shine at...video.

John, thanks for the additional information. In your first post you mentioned picture quality that I guess is what I was trying to find out about. The screen sounds like it might the problem? I might have misunderstood that you use the camera for both at home and in the boat, I assumed it was for the boat only and stayed in there.

The newer cameras definitely have better LCD screens that allow them to be viewed in bright sunlight. I would suggest setting a price that you are willing to spend and then go to a few stores and look at a few cameras that will use a screen you can view easily outdoors. I would not be to concerned about a waterproof camera, with care you should be able to keep it operational for some time! You will save money by not having to have a waterproof camera and you will have considerably more choices.

I use an Otter Case, padded, waterproof and floats for about $15 to $20 for a point and shoot or cell phone. There are actually a number of good cases that will allow you to keep your camera safe while at home or in the boat that are in-expensive. As far as non-waterproof cameras Canon and Panasonic's are two brands I have experience with and consistently get good reviews. The Panasonic Lumix actually use Lecia lenses for really good quality photos. I have blown up shots from a Lumix to poster size and still retained quality. Some of these newer Panasonic's are using 3.5 inch screens!

The Canon Elph 300 is a sub $200 camera that is year after year one of the top cameras. I had an earlier version of one and was always impressed with it. Another nice feature beginning to show up is IS. I find it nice in a boat that is bouncing around! I hope that helps answer some of your questions! Good luck finding a camera that will work for you! Keep in mind all of the newer cameras do a very good job taking photos!

You'd be surprised how much abuse a pro throws at a camera.

There has been a vast improvement in LCDs in the past few years. Nat Camera would likely let you take the camera out into the sunshine to check the brightness if they don't have a south facing window in the shop. Otherwise as Dan suggested an otter box is great, I even throw my camera bag into a sea to summit roll top dry bag. They work great as well. I'd go shop around and not rule out the Olympus quite yet, test as many as you can and make your decision from there. Good luck.

be sure to check out the Panasonic Lumix waterproof cameras.. have seen them in action a couple times and seem to be a very solid camera from the reviews i have read.. personally may be heading in that direction as i need a new camera since my last two.. both non-wp.. have been put down to rest due to lack of waterproofiness laugh

just thought i'd throw this out there... i ended up going with the Lumix TS10 through amazon.. got it for $115.. still normally sells for $180-200.. looked under their "used" tab and there was Amazon Warehouse Deals.. from what i read.. all the items are actually new except for games/cd/dvd which they get on trade in.. but the "used" items are just blemished boxes.. ie: dented corner or something silly like that.. comes with 90 day warranty.. so if its DOA.. you can return it..

everything i have read about this camera is nothing short of good reviews.. i also looked into oly, nikon, pentax, fujifilm.. and popped on this

dmc-ts10-silver-2.jpg