• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrade advice please..

First off, Hi Everyone!! First time posting here, but a frequent visitor.

I thoroughly enjoy photography, as a hobby anyways. Right now I have a basic point and shoot sony cybershot 7.1 megapixel camera that has definately seen better days. I am interested in upgrading from a point and shoot to something more. I looked into dslr options and have found the price tags a little scary, so I have started looking into Compact System Cameras and was wondering what your opinions were on them. So far my interest is in the Olympus Pen cameras. I'm also not quite sure how much of a quality difference there would be between a dslr and a csc, or whether anyone could recommend a basic/affordable dslr with decent quality? sorry for the long list, but I have so many questions! Thanks in advance!!

Pens are of the u43rds sensor format which means that there's no mirror and the physical size of the sensor is smaller than a typical Dslr. The smaller sensor means less bokeh or blured out spots that are out of focus but still much more than a point n shoot. And ISO or noisy images are also more of an issue than larger sensors, can be a problem when stopping a fast moving subject. Those are the limitations but it would still be a big step up from a point n shoot.

The glass is every bit as good, reaches further and usually cheaper though. Also on some lenses auto focus is tops in speed.

For a step up it would be a fine choice.

FYI I shoot an Olympus e-620 Dslr.

If you are serious about taking up photography and want decent equipment you might want to look at used. I still regret selling my Canon 30D. The person that bought that camera has a well taken care of camera that had less than 10,000 shots on a body that was rated 100,000 shots. There are plenty of people selling their backups to upgrade or going to full frame cameras. Take a look at POTN or Fred Mirandas for used equipment. I have bought and sold on POTN with no problems. The reason I like the 30D is it has a magnesium body. If you go down to a Rebel it will be plastic and the shutter is going to be rated at 50,000 shots. The price will be determined by condition and the amount of shots taken. The price could be anywhere from $250.00 to $400.00 for a camera that sold for $1300.00 new. My MarkII listed for $6800.00 new and sold for $4800.00 and today you can pick them up for $1200.00 with less than 30,000 shots on a shutter that is rated for 200,000 shots. The cameras lose value but the good glass will not so that is were your money is well spent.

I can tell you that a DSLR will be a much better long term investment. You will have so many more options on which way you want to go with lens selections, other body choices. If you are going to spend $300 to $400 on a compact system as Jim pointed out you could get into a decent, high quality used DSLR. There are a lot of used cameras out there with very little use on them as many folks continually upgrade.

If you have more specific questions feel free to ask away.

Thank you all so much, after reading your opinions I think I would be happy with a CSC camera but I don't think I would like to settle, now going to consider a used DSLR camera. I contacted my uncle and he said that he would help when it came to the buying stage, he is somewhat experienced with DSLR's and would give me pointers on what to avoid and what-not. Jim, what does POTN stand for? I tried just typing it into google but don't think I got the right page. Thank you all again so so much for your help!!

POTN = Photography on the Net. It is Canon specific so if you are looking for other brands as well as Canon take a look at Fred Miranda. I just bought some equipment last week from there no problems at all.

Sooooo, I have been researching and studying like crazy. I think I have a decision made. I think I am going to go with the Canon EOS Rebel T3. Do you think this will be a good camera for a newbie? I went into Best Buy and played around with some Canons and some Nikons, I'm really leaning towards Canon now. Best Buy has a T3 package with the body, EF-S 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, 8GB memory card and a camera case/shoulder bag, all for $740. I was thinking of going with a package like this to start out, now just to save up some money, should have enough in a couple years. crygrin